PDA

View Full Version : Please could somebody confirm my suspicions?

littlemisskim
28-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I have been searching for a Henry James Cross, born in Inskip in about 1865. I have exhausted all of the online resources possible, and am planning a trip to the record office.

At age 5, he was living with a family as a border. I had assumed he was an illegitimate child whose mother had died, but had no proof.

I have just been browsing the Curiousfox website on the Inskip section, and I think I've struck gold. Could somebody please make sure my excitement isn't clouding my judgement?

cross (Sep 04) Inskip
looking for family of Elizabeth Cross who had a son born out of wedlock called Henry born 1865. I have a maintenance order made through the Petty Sessions naming a James Cooper. Has anyone any details about the families.

I think it's him because:

1. The name, age and location all seem correct.

2. Inskip is a small place even these days - Wikipedia says a population of 878 in 2001 - so there wouldn't have been many babies with the surname Cross born each year.

3. There is a death for an Elizabeth Cross for the right area in 1867, aged 45, which would tie in with the fact the he seemed to be an orphan in the '71 census. (And also perhaps, why he wasn't living with his Grandparents - because they were old/not alive given the age of his mother)

4. His middle name is Henry which is the name of the man who is named as the father.

His birth wasn't registered as Henry James Cross, but perhaps I can find him as Henry Cross.

I'm going to the record office on Tuesday, so I can find this maintenance order myself of course.

What do you think? (Relevant census info in my previous posts if necessary)

geneius
28-06-2010, 1:29 PM
Go for it.....as you say a small village even in those days......check the parish records for the baptism you never know the parish clerk may have made a local entry.......check for the father as well he may be the parish bounder!

Thought you may like this link genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Inskip/

There are 2 researchers on A.....y! none are back prior to Henry

Enjoy your day

geneius

malcolm99
28-06-2010, 1:52 PM
Go for it.....geneius I'm with geneius - it all looks very promising. BTW have you seen there are 4 birth entries for Henry Cross on FreeBMD, Registration District ‘Garstang’ in 1865/1866?

malcolm99

Nicolina
28-06-2010, 2:19 PM
definitely go for it. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain. Perhaps his father's name is entered in the PRs (I found one).

pennydog
28-06-2010, 4:28 PM
definitely go for it. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain. Perhaps his father's name is entered in the PRs (I found one).

:iagree:Absolutely go for it - hope that you have a really successful trip tomorrow - don't forget to let us all know what you find, fingers crossed for you.:flowers:

littlemisskim
30-06-2010, 6:15 PM
I've been to the register office today, and found this document. It names the mother Elizabeth Cross, and the father Henry Cooper, but doesn't name the child, only the date he was born on (can't remember exactly, as a photocopy is being posted to me so I didn't write it down, think it's August 1865).

Even though the person who posted the message specifically said the child was "Henry Cross", I can't take their word as proof.

Not the perfect ending I'd hoped for, but I think I'll order the Henry Cross certificate for the September 1865 quarter and see if the date and mother matches up. If not, it's back to the drawing board!

Thanks for your help and encouragement guys!

littlemisskim

geneius
30-06-2010, 9:28 PM
What a disappointing visit, fingars cross(ed!) document is the corrrect one

littlemisskim
08-03-2011, 12:21 AM
It was right by the way guys! I found him! :smilewinkgrin:

The dates matched up, so I think I can safely assume it was him!

Thanks for the input!

littlemisskim

Peter Goodey
08-03-2011, 7:35 AM
It was right by the way guys! I found him!

Well done!.

You got a result because you worked the right way. You treated hearsay as a clue but no more than that. You got your actual evidence from official documents, which is the way it should be.