PDA

View Full Version : Viewing National Probate Calendar

markyb74
26-06-2010, 8:10 PM
Hi All,

I am thinking of going any having a look in the national probate calendar at Holborn next month. Does anyone have any tips or advice for someone who has never been? (Anything I should take etc...)

Mark

LittleMissP
26-06-2010, 9:10 PM
Hi Mark

The records are very simple to search and are self-evident when you see them as they are all in big books categorised by year and then first letter of surname. Everything is printed rather than handwritten so is very clear. I would make sure you take a pencil with you (no pens allowed obviously) and your notebook. Also plan in advance the names that you are going to look up (including possible spelling variations), then you will get the most of your time there.

If you find a record that is yours then think about buying a will, but note that often buying details of an admon will give you no further information to what is already written in the index record. If you're buying anything then do so in good time as they are very strict with same day ordering cut-off times!

I hope you enjoy the search and find something useful and interesting

Paula

Kerrywood
26-06-2010, 10:46 PM
It's a government building (part of HM Courts Service), so be prepared for airport-style security at the entrance, metal detectors etc. Any camera you take with you will need to be deposited in the lobby. The Search Room has now moved up to the fifth floor, so follow the signs round to the right and take the lift.

Any copies of wills that you want to purchase can be posted to you at home, or faxed to the search room while you wait (a one-hour ordering service). The cost is the same, £5 each. If you use the one-hour service, you may want to go out for a coffee and come back in again (through all that security!), or take something substantial to read, because the one-hour wait often turns into two or even three.

Good luck with your search!

markyb74
27-06-2010, 7:52 AM
Thanks Paula and Kerrywood for the advice.

Mark

Peter Goodey
27-06-2010, 8:04 AM
For each chunk of the calendar, make sure you're checking both admons and wills. It's an easy mistake to make if you've never used them before :(

markyb74
27-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Peter for the useful tip