PDA

View Full Version : how to trace usaf serviceman, stationed uk

hepzibah
25-06-2010, 12:46 PM
how do i trace back a usaf personel who was serving in uk at high wycombe in 1952? could someone tell me the name of the raf base at high wycombe? my mother served there, but died a good few years ago, so i cant ask her the name.

MarkJ
25-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Bear in mind that the person may still be living, so the usual rules apply regarding the posting of details if this is the case. Please use the PM system if you can help and know - or are unsure - that the person is alive.

According to the Wikipedia entry, the air base at High Wycombe was in use by the US until 1945, but the base at RAF Daws Hill was used by the US from 1952 - so presumably that is the one you are after?

Mark

hepzibah
25-06-2010, 1:09 PM
thank you markj. i wont be posting the details of this person, as i dont know if they are still alive, i dont think they are tho; i just wanted a starting point. would the american bases have personell entries available to view? or could i look up my mothers name and her service at the relevent base? she was in the waf

rogier@cat3home
25-06-2010, 8:21 PM
AKA Naphill

geneius
26-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Like you my mother never revealed details of her first husband, a GI,

I initially found detaisl of him via Familysearch, got his state and found his death registration and SSID.

Forget how I found his unit, which happened to be based at Burtonwood Warrington

Most US service men are buried in Army cemetaries so try google, I also used Facebook where I made the final connection

geneius

geneius

Peter Goodey
26-06-2010, 6:45 AM
she was in the waf

If you mean she was in the WAAF, can't you get her service record in the usual way (RAF Disclosures or whatever it's called)?

Waitabit
26-06-2010, 7:18 AM
Was this Man buried in UK or USA? If you are an Ancestry subdscriber you can probably find it all there. Tribal Pages also can be a help in searching USA Death Records.

hepzibah
26-06-2010, 9:27 AM
thank you all for your suggestions. yes, i do mean she waaf; as i was brought up in usa, i am not familiar with the spelling- just what it sounds like. and also, due to being in the usa for most of my life, and more interested in horses than military, i didnt know where to start; thank you for telling me peter. unfortuneately my mother has been dead for 30 odd years so i cant ask her for the paperwork, but i will try all of your suggestions. thanks again

geneius
26-06-2010, 12:22 PM
If you mean she was in the WAAF, can't you get her service record in the usual way (RAF Disclosures or whatever it's called)?

No my Cheshire born mother married a GI then divorced? him and married my father......