PDA

View Full Version : Herefordshire place name -deciphering!

Kentincomer
23-06-2010, 8:32 PM
Hi
I have a puzzle from the 1851 census. Trying to find the birth place of Margaret Home, resident in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire. I think it says Hereford, then a town. problem is, I cannot find a town in Herefordshire remotely like what it looks like. Help! the reference is:

Class HO107 Piece 1983 Folio 220 Page 33 Margaret Home is the last but one entry on the page.

I would be really grateful if someone could look at it for me, and suggest what it might say.

Thanks

Chris

Jellylegs
23-06-2010, 8:43 PM
Could it be Longtown?

Jellylegs

terrysfamily
23-06-2010, 8:44 PM
Bishops Castle is in Shropshire.

I have had one relative on a census put Bishops Castle Herefordshire. It turned out she was born Richards Castle Herefordshire.

Sue Mackay
23-06-2010, 8:50 PM
I think it's Longtown too

terrysfamily
23-06-2010, 8:58 PM
Please ignore my post. I didn't read the initial thread properly. Tried to edit it but BG went into a loop when I tried to save it within the alotted time.

Sorry

Kentincomer
23-06-2010, 9:04 PM
Thanks for the replies- cannot find her in the Clodock and Longtown baptisms, though. Unfortunately, she died before the 1861 census, so cannot check that one!

Jellylegs
23-06-2010, 10:08 PM
FamilySearch.org has a marriage of an Edward Home and a Margaret Howells on 06/04/1804 at Bishops Castle, Shropshire (which is where they are in 1841 and where their daughter Charlotte was born - according to the census).

There is also a Christening of a Margaret Howels (only one L) on 06/01/1782 at Leinthall-Starkes, Hereford - Father Francis Howels, Mother Margaret.

I think both records are extracted, and not member submitted - perhaps someone could check please, not used to using the site much.

Jellylegs

Kentincomer
24-06-2010, 2:53 PM
Thanks, Jellylegs, I have those already, and the birth date for Leinthall-Starkes tallies with the age she gives on the census. My problem is that I cannot make the town on the census read Leinthall-Starkes! Can anyone from Herefordshire help me out?

Chris

Sue Mackay
24-06-2010, 4:24 PM
My problem is that I cannot make the town on the census read Leinthall-Starkes!

I am no expert on Herefordshire, but not everyone is baptised in the same place in which they were born.