PDA

View Full Version : John Nash of Reading – was he a publican?

barbara lee
23-06-2010, 3:58 PM
Here's a puzzler – I am trying to connect a marriage in Reading in 1800 to a family with four children living in Sheet, Hampshire between 1801 and 1814, and keeping a small inn or pub. Sheet is a hamlet within Petersfield parish.

My ancestor was one of those children, and it is his father, John Nash, I am stuck with, because both he and his wife were incomers to Petersfield and I don’t know where they came from. I am trying to track down all the marriages of John Nashes to Elizabeths in Hampshire, Berkshire, Surrey and Sussex in around 1800, and a prime candidate couple were married in Reading - John NAISH to Elizabeth WHITE, Reading St Giles, 2 Jun 1800.

How can I tell whether the Reading couple were the innkeeper parents of the children baptised in Petersfield Hampshire? It would help if I could find out what John Naish of Reading St Giles did for a living. If he was a publican, or even an inn servant / barman, it would help to identify him as the same man who later lived in Sheet. The inn John and Elizabeth kept may have been the Half Moon, owned by the brewer Edward Patrick, so I would be interested in the names Naish, Nash, White and the brewer Edward Patrick, and whether any of them could be shown to have innkeeping connections in Reading. Are there any old books about the inns of Reading, their landlords and tenants, in the early 19th century?

Here is some further detail. There were four children born to John Nash and Elizabeth in Petersfield, the first being Mary, born 13th Nov 1801 and baptised 20 Dec 1801. John Nash and Elizabeth were not married in Petersfield and John Nash was not baptised there. At the baptism of the fourth and last child, John Nash was called a publican, and two of his sons called their father victualler or publican on their marriage certificates. It looks like the four children born in Petersfield were the only ones - there are no later marriages in the parish of possible earlier children.

John the victualler was buried in Petersfield on 29th August 1815, said to have been 39 so was probably born about 1776. He was never on a census to give a place of birth. His widow re-married (before 1837) and appears on the 1841 census aged 65 (65-69), not born in Hampshire. She didn’t survive to the 1851 census. She died in 1843 said to have been 70, so she was probably born about 1773.

The Reading marriage looks good on various counts. The bride and groom would both be in their early 20s and it was eighteen months before the birth of the first child in Petersfield. I have had the registers of Reading St Giles looked up, and the searcher said there were no children born to the couple in that parish or in St Laurence. There are no burials of likely John or Elizabeth Naish in either parish. So it is possible they upped sticks to Sheet / Petersfield straight after the wedding. There was an Elizabeth WHITE baptised in Reading St Giles on June 11th 1776, the daughter of Richard and Hannah WHITE. She matches the marriage and the woman in Sheet / Petersfield fairly well.

I would love to claim this couple as my ancestor's parents, but there is no definite evidence. My imagination says John Naish or Nash was an ambitious barman or inn servant in Reading, and was offered the tenancy of a small place in Sheet. He married Elizabeth White, who may have been a barmaid or from an innkeeping family, and they moved to Sheet and had their four children. It’s plausible, but no more than that.

Any ideas about how I can confirm (or eliminate) the connection?

Barbara

birdlip
28-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi there,

it does all sound plausible. I like your ambitious barman idea and don't want to pour cold water on it, but did you see there is another John Nash (or is he the same?) baptising children in Petersfield? This John Nash (and Susannah) baptised three children immediately before your John Nash and Elizabeth:

Susannah 07 Sep 1796
Elizabeth 07 Feb 1798
Ann 22 May 1799

This is probably their marriage, two or three miles away:

John Nash/ Susannah Harrison. Liss, Hampshire 06 Jun 1795

There are no more children born to John and Susannah after 1799, then John and Elizabeths children start in 1801. I'm just wondering if its the same John Nash, and Susannah died? There don't seem to be any other Nash/ Naish baptisms listed at all in this parish, with or without a father named John.

barbara lee
01-09-2010, 9:23 PM
Hi Birdlip

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I know the John Nash married to Susannah, but he is not the same man as John Nash the victualler, married to an Elizabeth, who is my ancestor, and the one I am hoping may have come from Reading.

The John Nash married to Susannah was a butcher, and he was buried in Petersfield in April 1824. I have his will naming his wife as Susannah, and he is on the same gravestone as Susannah, so the identification is sound. His wife was, as you thought, the former Susannah Harrison, and two of her Harrison relatives were witnesses on John the butcher's will. I think the butcher was a bit better-off than my ancestor, John Nash the victualler.

The two John Nashes appeared in the parish in 1795 (the butcher) and 1800 (the victualler), with no well-established Nash families before that. Neither was baptised there.

Your theory of "one John with two wives" was worth suggesting, but there were more children born to John the butcher and Susannah after the three you found in 1796-1799: John 1801, George 1803, Mary 1805, Jane 1808 and William 1810. They overlapped with the children of John and Elizabeth. Also, Susannah didn't die until 1838.

And so I am still on the hunt for the marriage of John Nash to an Elizabeth in the region of 1800.

Cheers

Barbara

birdlip
02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Ah... I might have known it couldn't be that simple! :no: