PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Royal Marine Corps records

mkathe
19-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Am looking for advice. My ancestor, Patrick Savage, was said to have retired from the Royal Marine Corps in 1814, along with 35 other First Lieutenants on half-pay. He was given land in Nova Scotia. I would like to find his service records, place of birth, etc. Where should I look? I briefly gave a look at the Archives online, but didn't find anything. I have no doubt I probably wasn't looking in the right place! It's a bit confusing. Thank you in advance! Maddie

AdeleE
20-06-2010, 3:28 AM
Hello Maddie,
So as to attract more attention from forum members, I have moved your query to a thread of its own, rather than leave it as a reply on another thread.

mkathe
20-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Thank you so much - I was confused as to how to start a new thread. I didn't mean to be rude!

AdeleE
20-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Oh goodness, you weren't rude. We moderators are here to help whenever you need us.

crimea1854
20-06-2010, 2:52 PM
Maddie

This may well be your man. There was a Lieut. Patrick Savage RM serving on HMS Narcissus during the American War of 1812. He was engaged in a cutting-out operation that saw the American Revenue Schooner Surveyor captured following a brief, and desperate fight. Savage was one of the Officers in the boats of the cutting-out force.

Martin

crimea1854
20-06-2010, 4:24 PM
Maddie

Following a trawl of the internet I found the following:

Rowland Savage of Drumaroad died on 14th June 1791. He was buried in the ancient burial ground of the Benedictine Abbey of Downpatrick; now the Protestant Cathedral. His son John Savage of Drumaroad married his kinswomen, Ann Savage, a daughter of James Savage of Prospect, Co. Down. John Savage by his wife Ann Savage, of Prospect, had among other issue, Patrick Savage of the Royal Marines; Rowland Savage of Dunmore. Ballynahinch, an officer in the premier line regiment of the British Army, the 1st (Royal Scots) Regiment of the Foot, then commanded by the Duke of Kent, father of Queen Victoria and was officer of the guard at the Castle on the night the Duchess of Kent died. He was referred to when the writer was a small boy as the "Officer Savage". 5o Another brother of the two officers, George Savage, was the progenitor of the well-known Savage family of Castlewellan, and another brother, James Savage, who died in 1839, aged 95 was the grandfather of the Very. Rev. Charles McKenna, P.P., of Kilmegan Parish between 1929 - 1950.

Certainly the right timeframe, but again no idea if this refers to your man.

Martin

mkathe
20-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Thank you, Martin! I will certainly see what I can find about the Narcissus and County Down. May I ask where you found the info re the Narcissus? I've tried to navigate the military records at the National Archives, but was not rewarded and felt pretty intimidated. Well, I'm off now to check the internet for your info. Thank you again!

crimea1854
21-06-2010, 5:44 AM
Maddie

I did not find the info on the National Archives website but here:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval_History/Vol_VI/P_231.html

I also found another account where Savage's name was given as one of those wounded in the attack.

Martin

Ed Bradford
21-06-2010, 3:47 PM
Martin, thanks for the link. ..............Ed

mkathe
21-06-2010, 4:08 PM
Maddie

I did not find the info on the National Archives website but here:

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval_History/Vol_VI/P_231.html

I also found another account where Savage's name was given as one of those wounded in the attack.

Martin

Thank you, Martin. You have been so helpful - now I have to figure out how to make sure that he is my Patrick. Maddie

crimea1854
21-06-2010, 7:29 PM
Maddie

I did find another reference to this Patrick Savage, and that he was subsequently to become Consul, at Norfolk, Virginia. This is interesting because in the NA Catalogue there is this Will entry:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-5280639&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CPATRICK%2CSAVAGE&accessmethod=0

If you were to order this document, hopefully it would provide some family details in the form of benificiaries that would enable you to confirm/rule him out. Please do let me know how you get on.

Martin

mkathe
24-06-2010, 3:23 PM
Maddie

I did find another reference to this Patrick Savage, and that he was subsequently to become Consul, at Norfolk, Virginia. This is interesting because in the NA Catalogue there is this Will entry:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-5280639&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CPATRICK%2CSAVAGE&accessmethod=0

If you were to order this document, hopefully it would provide some family details in the form of benificiaries that would enable you to confirm/rule him out. Please do let me know how you get on.

Martin

Thank you, Martin. I've ordered the records and will let you know how it goes when they arrive. Maddie