PDA

View Full Version : a great and informative book

hepzibah
18-06-2010, 4:59 PM
for anyone who is interested in social history, or wants to know what an ancestors life was like, on days other than the one census was taken,and how life really was in victorian times, with contempory accounts. especially of interest to those who are interested in the more transient poeple or poorer people in society, who moved around searching for work.
i have had it for several years, so it is quite old, and would need to be sourced secondhand. just reread it, and it really is good, very informative;
the title is; The Victorian City; images and reality, vol. 1 ( so there must be a follow up!) dont be fooled by the title, although it is concerned with people coming and going from the city, it is really a book about so much more, in a time when the population was much more mobile than it is now. isbn 0 7100 8458 7 published by Routledge & Kegan Paul ltd in 1973

just wanted to pass this on

nataliew
18-06-2010, 8:25 PM
ooh thank you! have just had my birthday but will put this on my xmas list - as it's called 'images and reality', are there lots of illustruations?! (i'm serious - I like to show my little girl pictures of what I'm talking about!)

Jan1954
18-06-2010, 8:38 PM
ooh thank you! have just had my birthday but will put this on my xmas list - as it's called 'images and reality', are there lots of illustruations?! (i'm serious - I like to show my little girl pictures of what I'm talking about!)
It is also well worth having a look through here (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listdepts&cat=D1680). Make that Christmas list a long one! :wink5:

Crikey! Here we are, talking about Christmas and it is only June! :shocked:

hepzibah
19-06-2010, 7:51 AM
nateliew; there are a lot of images ie photo's woodcuts scetches newspaper print and handbills, all original images from the time. jan- i will be checking through that link too. should we change the thead title to the good book thread and get a list of good reads going? ( theres birthdays and self indulgent days to fuel, as well as christmas!)

Peter Goodey
19-06-2010, 8:24 AM
The Victorian City; images and reality, vol. 1

The co-editor, H.J. Dyos was a pioneering and respected urban historian. It's worth looking out other stuff that he wrote (mostly essays and collections).