PDA

View Full Version : Gwendoline Sargent (also Dunlop & Vasco)

GeoffD
28-05-2010, 9:49 PM
Also posted in Brick Walls.

I am looking for records of the arrival of Gwendoline SARGENT (or SARGEANT) in New Zealand some time between about 1893 (death of her mother in Liskeard, Cornwall) and January 1898 (her marriage to Henry Colin DUNLOP in Gisborne, NZ) or maybe even 1896 (possible reference to her being a barmaid and piano player at the Royal Hotel, Thames, NZ).

It is likely that she was travelling with her uncle Edward SARGENT (or SARGEANT) and sister Emily, as both of these people seem to disappear from UK records after 1891 Census.

From 1898 to 1903, we can trace Mrs Dunlop in the newspapers because of her husband's involvement with the Gisborne Hunt. Then we lose track of her until she arrives in Quebec, Canada, in 1906 then crosses the border into the US from Vancouver in 1910. Colin DUNLOP died in 1926. We don't know if they were divorced before Gwendoline's remarriage in Brisbane in 1916.

Two of the big gaps I have are 1893-1896, and 1903-1906. I would very much like to know when and how she arrived in NZ, and when and how she left NZ. Her Canada migration details sy she was from Australia, but she has been proved to fib a bit on documents (some untruths on her marriage registration, for example; we won't discuss the details of her later marriage in Australia).

I have been dredging through the passenger lists, but find that you seem to need to know the ship. Can anybody give me some pointers as to where to look for an inward and outward passenger index for NZ?

Thanks in advance.

Mutley
28-05-2010, 10:40 PM
There are more details on the thread posted in Brickwalls so to save duplication of effort I will close this thread.
Please respond to http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?59700-Gwendoline-Sargent-(also-Dunlop-amp-Vasco)

It is not a good idea to post the same question on more than one forum, replies can become quite muddled. ;)
I have moved the reply given here by Nicolina to the other thread.