PDA

View Full Version : Rothwell family search

Janet M
26-05-2010, 1:35 PM
I am looking for information on my family. George Palfrey was born in Worcs in 1831. In the 1861 census he has moved to Steam Mill cottages near Rook Row in Rothwell. He is married to Sarah Ann from Braybrock.(could this be Braybrooke?)
They had two children Eliza aged 7 and Sarah aged 4. Does anyone know Sarah Ann she was recorded as aged 30 in the 1861 census. Sarah aged 4 was born in Rushton.
Many thanks
Janet M

Jan1954
26-05-2010, 5:50 PM
Hello Janet,

There is a marriage registration in the Market Harborough district (which covered Braybrooke) in the September quarter of 1855, volume 7a, page 27. It has George PALFREY on the page, along with a Sarah Ann ATKINS. Looks like it could be them. :wink5:

rogtut
26-05-2010, 6:00 PM
What about Sarah Ann Atkins who married a George Palfrey in Market Harborough district in 1855. England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915 Vol 7a P27.

Janet M
26-05-2010, 7:26 PM
Thank you for this information. Yes that certainly sounds like the correct marriage.
Any idea what would have bought George from his family and Worcestershire roots to Rothwell? As he lived at Steam Mill cottages would there have been some industry in the area?
Many thanks
Janet

tony vines
26-05-2010, 9:54 PM
Northamptonshire was and still remains a major centre of the boot and shoe industry. This former cottage industry was fast becoming industrialised at the time you are interested in and Rothwell and nearby Desborough certainly had factories. Boot and shoe making as a cottage industry would have been widespread so it is possible that your ancestor was involved in the trade in Worcestershire before recognising that he needed to work in a factory to stay employed. Alternatively, like some of my ancestors, he may have come from the agricultural industry where mechanisation was making an already precarious existence even harder for the labourers. What was he doing in the 1851 census?

Janet M
27-05-2010, 5:34 PM
George Palfrey was an agricultural labourer in the previous census. In the 1881 census the family had moved to Aston, Birmingham where George was a wheel wright.He joined other Palfrey members who had moved to that area who worked in various jobs like plasterers and spanner makers.
Thank you Tony for your information about Rothwell and area.
Janet

tony vines
27-05-2010, 6:54 PM
You're welcome Janet. If it turns out that your ancestor was indeed in the boot and shoe industry and you would like to know a little bit more about the terminology, try the site of the Irthlingborough Historical Society at erdiburn.org.uk/ . If you don't know the geography Irthlingborough is also a Northants town next to Wellingborough.

My ancestors from that part of the world originated from agricultural backgrounds and went straight into the new heavy industries like mining and railways before going into the boot and shoe industry. Fairly typical of the migration from the land at the time. My father had to leave school at 14 to go into one of the shoe factories when his father died at a fairly early age. Obviously like so many other jobs in the clothing industry most of the products are now made overseas but certain quality branded shoes like Loakes are still based in the county.