PDA

View Full Version : NHS application for access to old records

Jane Gee
23-05-2010, 2:09 PM
Just before I became ill I saw that you could send off to the NHS for a fee of £42 to see if they held records for a particular address I think it was around the time of the 2nd world war.
As there was a lot of puclicity about at that time I was able to find the application form on the NHS website no problem so off my application went and my cheque was cashed in March 2010. However it said it would take 28 days before a reply would be sent with obviously no guarantee of records having survived.
Tlhis was the beginning of March this year and to date I have had nothing, I have tried to find the info on the NHS website but cant find anything so cant chase this up.
Is there anyone out there who has sent off for this who can remind me what it was originally for etc.
I can only say that having been very poorly with shingles which really has played havoc with me for the last 10 weeks and looks set to plague me for more weeks to come, that I really have lost the plot when it comes to this application.
So I hope someone out there will take pity on me and point me in the right direction:wacko:.
Best Wishes
Jane

AnnR
23-05-2010, 2:14 PM
ic.nhs.uk/services/1939-register-service

I think the website address has changed. Try this one (http://www. in front)

louisa maud
23-05-2010, 3:42 PM
Jane
I can't help you but I wish you well and hope you are well on the mend to full health

best wishes

Louisa Maud

Jane Gee
23-05-2010, 4:27 PM
Hi Ann
Thank you so much that sounds very familiar, I had a momentry panic recently because I couldnt remember the name of a site I subscribed to silly me I had saved it to my desk top! Talk about use it or loose it.
Best Wishes
Jane

AnnR
23-05-2010, 6:01 PM
You're welcome. As I said I think the www address has changed. I was looking for it myself a couple of days ago for a friend and none of the links seemed to work, but I eventually found it more by luck than judgement.

Jane Gee
23-05-2010, 6:28 PM
Jane
I can't help you but I wish you well and hope you are well on the mend to full health

best wishes

Louisa Maud

Hi Louisa
Thank you for your good wishes at least I am eating again! cant wait to be able to get back to work and hopefully drive again fingers and toes crossed.
Best Wishes
Jane

Degan
23-05-2010, 6:31 PM
Jane - I hope you are feeling much better now. I had shingles once and it is very debilitating and painful.
I sent off for the 1939 info and kept getting E-mails with updates that my application was being dealt with. The final e-mail said something like you've now got the details and we are closing your application. I almost missed the information as it was at the bottom of the e-mail . I did actually post a message saying how disappointed I was, as it was just a typed out list of name address date of birth and occupation, which was more or less the information that I'd supplied on the application form. The only extras I think were the occupations and the fact that an uncle was with my parents. I'd foolishly hoped that I'd get a copy of the original document hoping that my dad had completed the form. Ah well !
Degan

Jane Gee
30-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Jane - I hope you are feeling much better now. I had shingles once and it is very debilitating and painful.
I sent off for the 1939 info and kept getting E-mails with updates that my application was being dealt with. The final e-mail said something like you've now got the details and we are closing your application. I almost missed the information as it was at the bottom of the e-mail . I did actually post a message saying how disappointed I was, as it was just a typed out list of name address date of birth and occupation, which was more or less the information that I'd supplied on the application form. The only extras I think were the occupations and the fact that an uncle was with my parents. I'd foolishly hoped that I'd get a copy of the original document hoping that my dad had completed the form. Ah well !
Degan
Hi Degan
Thank you for your kind thoughts and the information I am unfortunately still off work but things have improved but not as quickly as I would have liked.
So research is still on hold as my eye remains closed most of the time and if open I have double vision! Hopefully this will settle down so I can get back to some normailty but am beginning to suspect it could be a long haul.
I will certainly in the next few days chase up this application but it doesnt look as if I will get much from it but I always like to leave no "stone unturned"
Best Wishes
Jane