PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Hospital Cup

Bulleon
23-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

I wasn't sure which area to put this topic in, so felt in might fit in the 'General Family History Queries' folder. I recently took a trip up to my boyfriend's parents and we had a night where they pulled out the family photographs and all the bits and pieces they've collected over the years.

His dad pulled out a silver medal which is engraved 'Wilson Hospital Cup. Runners-Up 1930-31'. Does anyone have any further information on the Wilson Hospital Cup or know where I should go to find out more information? Any advice would be appreciated :smilewinkgrin:

Thanks,

Stacey.

Kerrywood
23-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Have you tried googling? Wilson's Hospital seems to be a school in Westmeath (Ireland). A possibility?

Sue Mackay
23-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Googlig "Wilson Hospital Cup" also brought up the following:

A special gold medal awarded to a Lincoln City football player in 1921 has been sold at auction.
The gold Wilson Hospital Cup Medal was given to Oscar Charles Brentnall to commemorate a charity match organised by the club to raise money for Lincoln County Hospital, the Lincolnshire Echo reports.

So, could it be a charity thing? Mind you, perhaps Lincoln is the key, as I have just found a results sheet for Chesterfield FC in the 1920s - they beat Lincoln City 4-0 in the Wilson Hospital Cup on 3 May 1926 :smile5:.

Neil Wilson
23-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Also found - The medal is engraved with an image of Lincoln Cathedral and the city's coat of arms.

Googling it looks like there used to be a few Hospital Cups, perhaps this was one of the ways money was donated to them.

Interesting result sheet for Chesterfield, one is that they won games and another part of it shows the players pay of £6 a week.