PDA

View Full Version : Film from 1906 in San Francisco

pottoka
22-05-2010, 8:03 PM
This might be interesting to some members, even though it is not a photograph, but a film.

The commentary in the email accompanying the link to it says:

"This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever. It was taken by a camera mounted on the front of a cable car. The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there.

This film was originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!) It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing."

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k

Jan65
22-05-2010, 9:14 PM
That was absolutely amazing. Considering the volume of traffic, cable cars, motor cars, horse and carts, and pedestrians, it's so strange to see that there's a free-for-all and no apparent rules of the road! And the women's hats! And the traffic crossing in front of the cable car, one horse and cart only just made it across, and I saw at least two groups of people almost get run over by motor cars! What a wonderful film. Thanks so much for the link Pottoka.

Kerrywood
22-05-2010, 9:34 PM
Super piece of film, Pottoka. Many thanks for posting the link. :smile5:

pottoka
22-05-2010, 9:41 PM
The apparent lack of traffic regulations made me shudder!

As for crossing the road ... yet none of them seemed the slightest bit fazed. I suppose they were used to it.

cristol
22-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow that's amazing - mesmerising I can't believe the permutations of man, machine and animal in such a short space - it's almost choreographed ! really enjoyed watching it. great find thanks Pottoka
Lesley

British Viking
22-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Wow what an amazing clip! Luckily preserved for us to see. Exqually amazing to see how people just sauntered along and kids (or young men?) playing around never changed (i.e. those hanging onto the back of the hansom cab!)

Barnzzz
23-05-2010, 9:45 PM
Amazing film, it must have been terrifying crossing the road. Have you watched the next on in the series where someone has edited in footage that must have been filmed after the earthquake?

Dorset Girl
26-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Saw this a while ago and from memory there was also a follow up taken a few years ago along the same stretch of road - and it was extremely boring by comparison. A lot of the "passer bys" were fascinated by the camera on the tram, and apparently the trams didn't actually stop so passengers had to run slightly to get on (not sure how those ladies in the dresses coped!) Funnily enough there wasn't exactly a large percentage of road deaths in those days despite the apparent lack of "law" !!
Marion

ShirleySS
26-05-2010, 3:18 PM
What a fascinaing look San Francisco
ShirleySS

ShirleySS
26-05-2010, 3:40 PM
I am going to San Francisco next week and will have to pick this out to show my friends I will be staying with. His family is actually from SF so I am sure it will mean a lot to him.
ShirleySS

pottoka
26-05-2010, 9:42 PM
This seems to be the follow-up film: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k

The beginning isn't as interesting but at 2 minutes it cuts to crossroads with a long, long queue of people; I don't know what they're queuing for, but it makes me think of deprivation and catastrophe (even if the queue does go in front of a shop whose sign seems to read Kentucky --- whisky). From 3 minutes 10, it's on a road with cable car tracks and all the buildings either side destroyed. Finally it becomes the same road as the original film as the tower at the end becomes visible through the smoke or dust.

I was actually surprised to see so many people in the streets; I somehow expected them to have fled the city.