PDA

View Full Version : Connection to Byfield THORNTON Line

cgthornton1
22-05-2010, 3:18 PM
I am researching a James THORNTON of Wormleighton who married Rhoda SMITH of Byfield on January 30, 1837 in Byfield, Northants…Henry THORNTON was a witness.

The GRO Death certificate of James THORNTON shows that he died Dec 19, 1841 in Wormleighton at age 25 of tuberculosis (aka, "Consumption"); he was born c1816. I reviewed the parish records of Byfield and have found an image of the original marriage register of James & Rhoda SMITH. There are also several THORNTON families in the Byfield baptismal records in this era…of greatest interest is a Henry THORNTON [b. c1778/Byfield, Northants] who married Elizabeth BATEMAN [b. c1775/Barby, Northants] on January 20, 1801 in Byfield. They appear to have had at least 7 children in Byfield: Mary [b. 1801/d. 1801]; William [b. 1802]; Henry [b. 1805/d. 1810]; Thomas [b. 1809]; Ann [b. 1812]; Henry [b. 1815]; and Hannah Elizabeth [b. 1818]

This same James THORNTON is seen in Wormleighton in the 1841 UK Census records (HO107/1132/12; Folio: 6; Page: 7) with Rhoda on the same page with the family of William & Rebecca THORNTON (James is living in the house of John BULL). This William THORNTON [b. 1805/Wolverton, Bucks] is the oldest child of George & Elizabeth THORNTON. On this same page in the 1841 UK Census is (1) Elizabeth THORNTON [b. 1820/Hanslope, Bucks]…the youngest daughter of George & Elizabeth THORNTON, and (2) William BASELEY (the step-father of the oldest son William & the youngest daughter Elizabeth)…William BASELEY married George’s widowed wife on July 3, 1840 (I have the GRO Marriage Certificate). George & Elizabeth THORNTON had three kids in Wolverton, Bucks and then four in Hanslope, Bucks before they moved to Wormleighton, Warks and settled permanently. No record of a baptism of a James THORNTON has been found in Wolverton or Hanslope c1816/1817 (or anywhere for that matter).

A James THORNTON [b. c1816] has NOT been found in the Byfield baptismal records to date. The Henry THORNTON listed as the witness at James’ marriage was probably the son Henry [b. 1815/Byfield]. Interestingly, in the Byfield baptismal register Henry & Elizabeth THORNTON are shown as being from the abode of “Westhrup.”

At least two other THORNTON families were recorded in the same baptismal records (during this time period) in Byfield:

Robert & Ester THORNTON: Baptized a son Thomas on March 28, 1824; William on March 5, 1825; and Mary on Sept 20, 1829

William & Ann THORNTON: Baptized a daughter Mary on Sept 21, 1826 and Susan on Sept 25, 1828.

James was either a son of George & Elizabeth or a nephew, but I cannot find a James THORNTON as the son of a Henry THORNTON in Byfield, or the son of George THORNTON in Wolverton or Hanslope. In fact, the only James THORNTON I've found that even comes close is in FreeREG, and he's born on July 31, 1816 in Norfolk, the son of David & Ann THORNTON! Somehow the family of Henry THORNTON connects into my George THORNTON family! But how...:surrender:

Anyone out there researching the Northants THORNTON lines? Especially the Byfield THORNTONs...|help|