PDA

View Full Version : Merchant Navy death 1867-1871

Sheleen
06-05-2005, 2:40 AM
I have been unable to find any information regarding a death in the Merchant Navy. I have all the information I may need, and have contacted researchers at the Merchant Navy. Their fees are quite good, I think. Anyway...
The death was between 1867 an 1871... the seaman in question caught a fever aboard ship and died at the port in Sierra Leone. What I was wondering... does anybody know what kind of information I am likely to get back if I pay a researcher do locate records for me?
I'd ideally like to know where he died (exactly)...when (exactly)... and who was notified. Would I also discover his next of kin (he was married, with children)... and anything she recieved (a pension of some description, perhaps?). But mostly... I'd like to know how the body was disposed of... would he be buried in Sieera Leone, shipped back home to Devon or buried at sea?
Can anyone help with this... does anyone know what I'm likely to get back for my money... or is what I know already about as far as I can go withh this and should I save my pennies? :)
Thanks
Sheleen

Geoffers
06-05-2005, 8:28 AM
I have been unable to find any information regarding a death in the Merchant Navy.The death was between 1867 an 1871... the seaman in question caught a fever aboard ship and died at the port in Sierra LeoneHave you lcoated his death certificate yet?

the seaman in question caught a fever aboard ship and died at the port in Sierra Leone. What I was wondering... does anybody know what kind of information I am likely to get back if I pay a researcher do locate records for me?It would help to know where in the world you are - if you're in the UK then doing the research yourself is the most rewarding and best. If not, then you may have to use a researcher.

The types of documents a paid reseacrher should be considering are:

Registers created as a result of the Seamen's Fund Winding-up Act 1851. These are held in The National Archives at Kew. The Registers (class BT153) give name, Register Ticket number, date engaged, palce date and cause of death, name and port of ship, master's name, when and where wages paid and amount owed and when sent to the Board of Trade. There are indexes to these registers in BT154 and BT155. There are also monthly lists of dead seamen in BT156 which give name, age, rating, nationality/birth place, last address and, place and cause of death.

Deaths on ship were also recorded in BT 159 (deaths at sea of British Nationals).

continued....

Geoffers
06-05-2005, 8:30 AM
part 2.......

Crew Lists and agreements are held in several places, TNA has a random sample after 1860, some are held at The National Maritime Museum (NMM) has a selection. The majority are now stored at The Memorial University of Newfoundland

You can find a lot of advice on TNA's website http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm
Look at the red horizontal bar near the top of the screen and move your cursor over 'Getting Started'. from the drop-down menu slect 'Index to Research Guides'. You arrive at a new screen, click on the letter 'M' in the alphabet near the top of the screen. from the list look for anything begining with 'Merchant Navy'. Also look under 'B' for Births, Marriages an Deaths at Sea.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Sheleen
09-05-2005, 2:54 AM
Thank you very much for the reply. I do live in the UK - but I can't go and do the research myself... I only search online, using resources available online only.

I have used the National Archives before... and ordered documents online too - very good they are - but the site can be a bit of a minefield to get through... as a novice, I don't think they make it easy :)
Thanks again.

Geoffers
09-05-2005, 8:53 AM
I have used the National Archives before... and ordered documents online too - very good they are - but the site can be a bit of a minefield to get through... as a novice, I don't think they make it easy :)
Thanks again.
Okedoke - if you get stuck using TNA's website, send them an e-mail mentioning what you find difficult about the site. If you as a noice find it difficult, then I'm sure that others suffer the same problem - if they know of a problem, they may be able to do something about it and/or advise you how to locate what you're after. Also, there are many people on these forums who can help you to find your way around various sites, so it may be worth posting another message.

Good luck

Geoffers

kmdward
11-05-2005, 3:00 AM
when a seaman died on ship it was up to the Captain to make a note in the Ships's Log and the notify the authorities at the next port of call. If your man died of fever in, then he was probably buried the same day, (fear of infection) they would not have kept him on board and taken him back to England. You could check the GRO Consulate Returns? (not quite the right name)these are death/christening/marriages advised to British Consulate for British citizens overseas.