PDA

View Full Version : Joanna HUGHES or variant b. abt. 1762--Wales?

Jane Elderfield
21-05-2010, 5:23 AM
Hello, members:

I have an ancestress named Joannah (or Johanna or Joanna) HUGHES (or HUGHS or HUGH). She was buried in Bristol, Gloucestershire, in 1835, aged 73, under her married name BEVAN. Unfortunately, she died before a census that would give her birthplace.

There is a fairly good likelihood that she was born in Wales, possibly in the Gower peninsula of Glamorgan. The IGI has not produced any very likely-looking candidates born around 1762. There is a member-submitted "Johanna HUGHES, b. 1766, Swansea, Glamorgan", with no parents' names.

Her children were named William, Philip, Thomas, Rebecca, Richard, Hannah, Mary, and John--which may be clues to her own family.

Does anyone with Welsh indexes have any possibilities to suggest?

--Jane E

birdlip
21-05-2010, 7:52 AM
Hi Jane,

where was she married? Any clues on the parish register e.g,.witnesses?

Jane Elderfield
22-05-2010, 5:52 AM
...where was she married? Any clues on the parish register e.g,.witnesses?

Joanna HUGHES mar. John BEVAN in 1785 in St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol. Witnesses were Catherine ....?... (ILTER? or ITTER? or PETER?) and William HUGHES.
Thanks for your interest. --Jane E

birdlip
22-05-2010, 8:05 AM
So William is probably her father or an older brother. Catherine ?....ilter could be a married sister?

:sad: Not much to go on.

Did John Bevan survive to 1841 or 1851? Where was he from?

Jane Elderfield
23-05-2010, 5:30 AM
...Did John Bevan survive to 1841 or 1851? Where was he from?

No, he died in 1827, aged 65, and is buried in Bristol, Gloucestershire. (The family lived in Bedminster, which was then in Somerset.)

Although not yet proved, my best guess is that John BEVAN was born in Ilston, in the Gower peninsula, Glamorgan, Wales. John & Joanna's eldest son William married a woman from Rhossili, in Gower, and one of the wedding witnesses was born in Ilston, Gower.

Jane Elderfield
04-06-2010, 8:09 AM
Searching the Pilot FamilySearch, I have come up with another possible birthplace for Joanna's husband: John BEVAN chr. 4 Sep 1762, Christ Church, Bristol, parents John & Jane BEVAN. Batch C17271-2.

Joanna could reasonably have also been born in Bristol, or elsewhere in Gloucester or Somerset, or anywhere farther afield.

Just thought someone might have a Glamorgan christenings master index, or a Gower christenings master index, and could do a look-up to see if there is a Joanna (or variant) HUGHES (or variant) christened in 1762.

--Jane E

Jane Elderfield
23-06-2010, 6:28 AM
...Joannah (or Johanna or Joanna) HUGHES (or HUGHS or HUGH)...buried in Bristol, Gloucestershire, in 1835, aged 73....

...Her children were named William, Philip, Thomas, Rebecca, Richard, Hannah, Mary, and John--which may be clues to her own family....

My Glamorgan FHS journals arrived, and Lo, there is a look-up service for members.

Emailed off my query and the fellow with the lovely Welsh name replied quickly:

"a Joan HUGH, daughter of William and Rebekah (or Rebecca), was beptised on 18 April 1762 at the parish church of St. Michael in Loughor, Glamorgan.

"Other children of this couple were
Mary (bap. 24 June 1752)
Rebecca (bap. 8 Aug 1756)
William (bap. 23 December 1759)
Thomas (bap. 24 October 1874)

Despite the variation in spelling of both forename and surname, I think I've got my Joanna HUGHES!

Hooray! And Thanks, Glamorgan FHS.

--Jane E

Waitabit
23-06-2010, 6:36 AM
Lovely Jane, so good when a difficult search ends with positive news.

Jane Elderfield
24-06-2010, 5:10 AM
Thanks, Waitabit, you are always so generous with your support to members.

The man with the lovely Welsh name mentioned that he had searched Glamorgan marriages for William HUGH to Rebecca/Rebekah, with no luck. He suggested that as Loughor is so close to the Carmarthenshire boundary, I might search there.

So...
Any members who have access to a Carmarthenshire Marriages Index?
I'm looking for William HUGH (or variant) marrying Rebecca or Rebekah surname unknown 1750 or earlier.

Thank you--
Jane Elderfield

Waitabit
24-06-2010, 5:23 AM
You're so welcome Jane, just having a quick look on IGI (as you do) there is a member submitted entry for a William HUGHES b 1717ish Holywell Flintshire & Rebecca HUGHES b. 1721ish Holywell Flintshire Wales. Marriage 29 Oct. 1742. Has that been in the broth before?

Ladkyis
24-06-2010, 9:08 AM
Holywell, Flintshire is North Wales while Carmarthenshire is in South West Wales.
The traffic from north to south was not as great as that from east to west or west to east. Then as now it was easier to go to England first and then travel north or south before diving back into Wales and there are a lot of other places to stop along the way

Waitabit
24-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Oh darn,no adventure there then? Makes the marriage I found in Chestershire with resultant children more exciting, but I won't mention that! think it was much later tho'.

Jane Elderfield
25-06-2010, 5:57 AM
You're so welcome Jane, just having a quick look on IGI (as you do) there is a member submitted entry for a William HUGHES b 1717ish Holywell Flintshire & Rebecca HUGHES b. 1721ish Holywell Flintshire Wales. Marriage 29 Oct. 1742. Has that been in the broth before?

Thanks, Waitabit,
Yes, I did find those member-submitted IGI entries, but I know the IGI is notoriously short on Welsh data, so suspect there are other William HUGH/ES marrying Rebeccas. Also, as Ladykis points out, Flintshire is the other end of Wales.

A family member treated me to Loughor Parish Registers and Memorial Inscriptions (ordered through Parish Chest). When they arrive, I should have lots of delicious searching for later details of William, Rebecca, and family.

I just hope I don't find anything for "Joan"--I want her to be my Joanna in Bristol!

Cheers-- Jane E

Waitabit
25-06-2010, 6:15 AM
Nice treat Jane, good luck!