PDA

View Full Version : Free Access - 19th Century Newspapers

LancsLass
19-05-2010, 2:16 PM
Hi am indebted to another briliant user of this forum for giving me the following information in a PM and having recently found some fascinating things felt motivated to draw it to other users attention as I don't recall seeing references to it here.

The British Library 19th Century Newspaper Collection is made available FREE on-line via some County Library Services and can be accessed from the comfort of your own home. If you access the collection via the British Library site you have to pay a fee, but have a good look through the services offered by your County library service. After some trawling I found a link on the Essex Service and by putting in my library card details I can then access the site free of charge.

There are local newspapers in the collection from 1800 and their births, deaths, marriages sections in particular have provided me with some real "gems"; not only pre 1837 data but information with real colour about the individuals and the things going on around them.

Hope this might help with some brickwalls out there.

junedye64
19-05-2010, 2:56 PM
That sounds very intereresting.

I tried Essex County Library Service but can't find out how to access Newspapers.

Can you give me a few clues please. (I'm a bit clueless) |dunce2|

June

glynisaddy
19-05-2010, 2:57 PM
hi
thank you for this info,i'll see if i can find anything for norfolk and,if so,that might bring down a few brickwalls.
regards
glynis

LancsLass
19-05-2010, 3:25 PM
Within the Essex County Council library site the link is hidden within the on-line reference section. The link to that is :

http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCWebsite/dis/guc.jsp?channelOid=15524&guideOid=17103&guideContentOid=138115

Strangely the didn't see fit to link it with their section on genealogical research! For anyone trying to look in other counties I would recommend looking for on-line services or simply using the search facility.

Mona
19-05-2010, 3:34 PM
Lancashire Libraries offers this service even if you do not live in the county. You can join the library and they will send you a library card. If you live overseas they will email you a library number. You can then access various newspaper collections.

junedye64
19-05-2010, 3:43 PM
Thanks Lancslass.
I'll have a go

June

sandiep
19-05-2010, 7:42 PM
Oxfordshire Library has the 19th century and Times online free to members

sandie

Barnzzz
19-05-2010, 8:29 PM
Bristol Libraries subscribe and the papers are fascinating. You have to log into the library site using your library card and pin number, then click on a link called 'e-resources'. Maybe June can find a similar link on the Essex County Library site?
Sue

Colin Rowledge
19-05-2010, 8:45 PM
Lancashire Libraries offers this service even if you do not live in the county. You can join the library and they will send you a library card. If you live overseas they will email you a library number. You can then access various newspaper collections.

Hi Mona
Given that I live in Canada, and have ancestors on both mine and my wife's side all over the UK as well as Ireland, do you mean I have 'join' every library in the appropriate County to access these newspapers? May sound stupid but ----------

junedye64
19-05-2010, 9:30 PM
Sue

I have managed to find the newspapers, but find it very difficult to fill in the keywords etc.(I'm not very good at that) :nonod:

I need London and Kent newspapers to look up Births, marriages and deaths.

Can anyone help please?
June

Mona
19-05-2010, 9:40 PM
do you mean I have 'join' every library in the appropriate County to access these newspapers?

In short, No. You just need to belong to one library that offers access to this UK wide 19th century newspaper collection.

Peter Goodey
19-05-2010, 9:45 PM
Lancashire Libraries offers this service even if you do not live in the county.

I'd make the most of it while it lasts because if they do this, it almost certainly breaches their licensing agreements and the companies concerned will catch up with them in due course.

Colin Rowledge
19-05-2010, 9:56 PM
In short, No. You just need to belong to one library that offers access to this UK wide 19th century newspaper collection.

Hi Mona - is such a list of Libraries available or do I have to email to find out if they subscribe to such a service?

rogtut
20-05-2010, 8:26 PM
Thanks for this - wish I'd known before: Enfield library offers the facility.

Dargie
20-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi Mona - is such a list of Libraries available or do I have to email to find out if they subscribe to such a service?

Lancashire Library as previously mentioned. See thread #5. It has worked well for me. Overseas service great.
Marj.