PDA

View Full Version : Colliery Brass Bands

padua
19-05-2010, 7:28 AM
My maiden name was Webb :) Married a miner from Goldthorpe - he was 14 when he went down in 1944- I am interested in finding information on the Colliery Brass Bands as his father William Merrill played the trombone- All Reg's brothers were miners. Brother in law Derke Hyde was also Colliery worker.
The worked Ickleton (never sure if it has an H as Reg never pronouces them :) Barnborough and the area - cheers

cristol
19-05-2010, 9:54 AM
Hi Padua
Not familiar with the area in question but if "ooop north" there would probably been a plethora of bands around there. Here are a couple of websites that you might find useful - all with WWW in front as usual.
ibew.org.uk
bandsman.co.uk
4barsrest.com
brassbandwiki.com

They may not have what you are looking for but you should find links to others sites from these as they are probably among the leading websites for the Brass band movement.
Good luck with your search.
Lesley

cristol
19-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Wow just found the location of Goldthorpe, Bamburgh and Hickleton - right slap bang in the midst of probably the most iconic brass band area in Yorkshire ! just a stone's throw from the famous Grimethorpe Colliery Band

padua
19-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Reg said he used to dance at the village that 'Brassed Off' was filmed in :) By Gum !

cristol
20-05-2010, 9:47 AM
Reg said he used to dance at the village that 'Brassed Off' was filmed in :) By Gum !

So you can add a DVD of this film to your family history memorablia box then. :yes:

mfwebb
21-05-2010, 10:23 AM
"Brassed Off" was filmed in Grimethorpe -- the home of the world-famous Grimethorpe Colliery Band.

Hickleton does have an "H" although the letter "H" doesn't appear in the Yorkshire alphabet (:rofl:) and Hickleton did have a colliery band -- Hickleton Main Colliery Band if I recall correctly.

I spent nearly 40 years in Barnsley, although I was born in Otley and now live in Lincoln, and for 25 years from the age of 11 I played in 3 colliery bands -- Grimethorpe Junior Band, Houghton Main Colliery Band and Barrow Colliery Band.

I note Padua's maiden name was Webb. I believe my great grandfather Charles Webb, who was born in 1843 in Bedfordshire, was the first Webb in South Yorkshire. He married in Silkstone Church in 1866 and had 10 children. We could be related!!!

padua
22-06-2010, 7:35 AM
Thanks for all the information - re the WEBB surname, my family came from Wellington Salop - I believe Matthew WEBB the first recorded main to swim the English Channel was also from that area.

Still hoping that i find something about the Brass Band connection - surname MERRILL :0