PDA

View Full Version : Need help understanding an IGI marriage entry

ET in the USA
13-05-2010, 5:06 AM
I'm guessing that this question has been covered before, but reading several related threads, I can't find the answer - so here comes the question again. :biggrin:

Looking at the IGI entry for the marriage of George Gill & Esther Badman, the entry reads as follows:
George Gill
Male
Marriages:
Spouse: Esther Badman
Marriage: 19 Dec 1821 Christ, Bristol,G, , Gloucester, England
Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.
Source Information: No source information is available.
Can anyone tell me what the Message & source information really mean? How can I verify a source that isn't available? Is this source one step better than a submitted record but not as good as an extracted record with a batch number, etc.?

Thanks
Elaine

Waitabit
13-05-2010, 5:16 AM
Elaine it's one step better than nothing! A real tease because of this sentence

Messages: Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.
Source Information: No source information is available.

It sounds as if the person has privately found the record in Parish records but didn't include it. I'm not sure if this is a rule as some extractions are done by Church Members from the films & listed as such. Hence the batch no. which is their 'source' or officiating parish.

Peter Goodey
13-05-2010, 5:49 AM
You'll have to ask the Mormons if they can tell you what the source information is but it looks as if it's intended to mean Christ Church, Bristol. I would suggest that those are the records you need to order.

ET in the USA
13-05-2010, 3:41 PM
Thanks.

P.S. I hate teasers :yes: [but clues are good].
Elaine

rogtut
13-05-2010, 5:44 PM
Hi

This marriage is listed twice in the LDS Record Search Pilot and is in two different films Both films are in stock in the LDS London centre and I'll have a look at them for you (I go there at least once a week). Will be in touch.

ET in the USA
13-05-2010, 5:53 PM
Hi

This marriage is listed twice in the LDS Record Search Pilot and is in two different films Both films are in stock in the LDS London centre and I'll have a look at them for you (I go there at least once a week). Will be in touch.

Thanks so much. I doubt they are in stock in Bothell WA :)

rogtut
14-05-2010, 4:26 PM
Success - copies of both but not best quality. Let me know your email address and I will send them.