PDA

View Full Version : The Hardings of 11 Partlands Ave, Ryde,

Anntrog
12-05-2010, 4:18 PM
Hi all,
I wondered if anyone can help. I have used the FHS forums in Liverpool to great success while trying to find information about my family on mums side, and I now know more than I could ever have known without being able to speak directly to family members who alas are all gone now. So here we go.
I have a photo with family on that I had no idea who they were, from the use of the forums I have found out it is my grans twin brother RICHARD EDWARD HARDING and his wife Frances. He was in the Royal Marines from 1907 - 1945. He married Frances in 1926 whilst serving on the HMS BENBOW. His death certificate says he died in Whitecroft Hospital Isle of Wight in 1981. Frances died in 1976 Isle of Wight. I think after checking the phone records they lived at 11 Partlands Avenue, Ryde from 1964 - 1981. I don't know if they had any children.
It's a long shot for me but I have never seen a photo of my gran(Emma Harding) and grandad Parry who lived and died in Litherland, Lancs. And thought that if I can find relatives of Richard and Frances they may have photos of The family.
Emma and Richard Harding were both in Fazakerly childrens home in 1901.
Kind Regards and hope someone can help
Ann

Kerrywood
13-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi Ann, and welcome to Brit-Gen :seeya:

Was Richard HARDING's wife Frances Ivy CARDY, born 1897? In the GRO births index for England and Wales there are no HARDING births registered with the mother's maiden name CARDY at the right period. But as Richard was serving in the Marines, it's possible that their children were born elsewhere in the UK, or overseas.

As you're looking at a relatively recent time-frame, you might consider an insert in the Family Notices section of an Isle of Wight newspaper (Google to find titles). Or perhaps a local paper might like to run a piece about your search for family? There's always a chance that someone living locally may remember the HARDINGs from their years in Ryde.

Anntrog
15-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for your reply Kerrywood,
Yes Richards wife was Cardy, They married in 1926 at the Weslyan chrch Twyford Avenue, Portsmouth. Frances address given as 286 Chichester Road, North End. Richard came out of the marines in 1945. I am sure they must have had children because thats what you did in those days. I have Richards Marine records and he always seemed to come back to Portsmouth for leave as he was a bandsman. So I would think the kids were born in Portsmouth, but I don't know how to find out more info on the family. I have a letter to the editor being published in the Isle of Wight county press, so I wait and see.
Thankyou again.
Ann