PDA

View Full Version : Mai JONES Remembered

Ladkyis
10-05-2010, 1:42 PM
Some of you might have heard of Mai JONES. Anyone with any connection to Wales will, at some time, have sung We'll Keep a Welcome in the Hillsides" Mai JONES wrote the music for this song. She is my first cousin once removed.
On Friday 7th May 2010 a plaque was placed on the house she lived in until her death in 1960. The local newspaper was there and took photographs of the Newport Male Voice Choir along with Wynn Calvin and Harry Poloway.
Me? oh no I wasn't there because no one knew I existed. I have since spoken to the gentleman who organised the plaque and he too was disappointed that her family were not there. He had tried to research the JONES name but had not found anyone.

We are going to compare notes about her soon, who knows there could be a book!

Waitabit
11-05-2010, 3:45 AM
What a lovely memorial Ladkyis, but what a pity the Gentleman looking for the 'Jones' Family didn't touch base on Brit-Gen!
Even a quick Google may have helped.

Ladkyis
11-05-2010, 9:01 AM
As he told me on the phone he is a musician and has never thought about family history - well I think I have sown the seeds in his head now.

Waitabit
11-05-2010, 9:51 AM
So now, you is a planter too. Se/ow ye well, as you may reap. or words to that effect