PDA

View Full Version : Parishes transported!

Ladkyis
04-05-2005, 10:09 AM
This was posted on the Monmouthshire Rootsweb list and I have the permission of the poster to copy it here

After searching for a few weeks to find ancestors on the Monmouthshire, 1901 census, on Ancestry I decided to try Gloucester, England, and found the parish's of Dinham, Llanvair Discoed and St Brides Netherwent, were regarded as being in "Westmorland", England.
I hope this info is of help to those like myself who are slightly baffled.
Ray Lloyd

I hope this helps someone
Ann

Ladkyis
04-05-2005, 10:11 AM
More from Ray

Further to my mail about the 1901 census mix up on Ancestry there are I believe 25 Monmouthshire Wales, Parish's listed as Westmorland, England.

Caerwent. Caldicot. Chapel Hill. Chepstow. Dinham. Kilgwrwg. Llangwm Isaf. Llansoy. Llanvair Discoed. Llanvihangel. Llanvihangel Torymynyd. Mounton. Mathern and St Pierre. Newchurch East. Newchurch West. Portskewett. Shirenewton. St Arvans. St Arvans Grange. St Brides Netherwent. Tintern Parva. Trelleck Grange. Undy. Wolves Newton. Wolvesnewton, I believe the last two are the same place.

Ray Lloyd.

Rod Neep
05-05-2005, 1:17 AM
You should be so lucky... that's just down the road. One of mine was born in Saudi Arabia.

http://img133.exs.cx/img133/6927/explotar2jr.gif

Ladkyis
05-05-2005, 11:05 AM
I found 1/6 in the bottom of my handbag - don't ask why I was down there - so put that in the ancesspit fund.

My worry is that they might try to do a mass swop and Monmouthshire will finish up with all of westmorland in it - where would they sleep?
Ann

Nannybabs
05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi Ann,

Did you know that OUR Newport is in Staffordshire?

My mother re-married in 1987 in St Paul's Church Newport.The entry on Ancesstry gives the district as Newport Staffordshire ! I was at the wedding so I know where it took place.

Coincidentily, I have been looking for one of my rellies back in 1871 on Anncestry and found one place of birth entry as 'Merthyr affilieted with fits since birth Glamorgan Wales' !

You can imagine what other gems there are to be had with all the Welsh spellings

Barbara