PDA

View Full Version : Odd Christian name

emeltee
07-05-2010, 9:18 AM
I have traced a branch of my family back to the late 1500's in Ellastone, Staffs where a Richard Botham married a Jone Hetherington. Further research shows that Jone, which I presume is Joan, was the daughter of one Hichie or Hychie Hetherington. I did wonder if this was a mistranscription of Richie. He appears on the printed transcript of the Ellastone Parish Registers as Hichie/Hychie for the baptisms of all his children and for his death. I haven't been able to find a birth or marriage for him yet.
Basically my query is whether this is a mistranscription or has anyone ever come across the name Hichie before?
Emeltee

Waitabit
07-05-2010, 9:59 AM
Wouldn't this be an early variation of the same name? Back when only a certain number of person had 'education' or writing skills one surely depended on their transcribing of events with all the evils of mis -hearing & personal opinion of 'how it's done'. Spelling versions abound.

I wasn't around then, truly. It's all just what I've read & heard about.

cicilysmith
07-05-2010, 4:08 PM
Dictionary of English Surnames by Reaney and Wilson. "Hich, a pet form of Richard was common in the 13th century." The mediaevalists liked to change the first letter of a name, that's why we get Bob for Robert and this is the same thing, just a sort of rhyme, cicilysmith

emeltee
07-05-2010, 5:43 PM
Many thanks for your replies. Your answers fit in with what I was thinking..
Emeltee

swisschick
08-05-2010, 8:59 PM
Hi Emeltee

I also am descended from Hichie Hetherington through his daughter Anne who married Thomas Ockes (Oakes). I remember reading somewhere that Hichie was a diminutive of Hugh but whatever the name , it is most likely a personalization of another more common one.

emeltee
09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Swisschick,

My link to Hichie is through his daughter Jone who married a Richard Bothom. Apart from his children, whom I have found, do you have any other info on Hichie and Dorothie? I have his burial 27 April 1619 but that is all - no birth, parents or marriage.
Regards,
Emeltee

swisschick
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi

There are about 7 entries on the IGI for Hichie Hetherington submitted by patrons. Most of them have him born about 1560 in Ellastone or Staffordshire and marrying either Ales Massey or Dorothye about 1597. But since there is no sign of those names before the birth of his son Ashton by Ales, I don't think he comes from there.

There is a tree on A**try that has Hichie born about 1560 but this person believes that Hichie or Hychie is most likely a form or nickname for Hugh (I knew I read it somewhere) or Heckie which are Scottish names as is the origin of Hetherington. For this reason she believes that Hichie was probably born in the borders.

That is about all I can find for him and Dorothye for the time being. Of course we never give up, we just put them in the closet for awhile and take them out occasionally to root around for their secrets.

Best wishes
Jo

emeltee
12-05-2010, 2:31 PM
Hi Jo,

It looks like you and I have both been looking in the same places. I've seen the unhelpful entries on the IGI and also the tree on Ancestry, but I can't find anything else. The marriage doesn't appear in the Ellastone Parish Register nor does his birth and without a surname for Dorothie I can't go looking for her either. If I should ever find him I'll let you know.

Emeltee