PDA

View Full Version : Lewisham Bridge Mill, Charles King around 1825

susan-w
03-05-2005, 8:38 PM
I’m looking for more info on Lewisham Bridge Mill.

Charles King, my gggrandfather, christened his eldest child, Annie Alice King, at St Mary’s, Lewisham, Kent, in 1825. The parish register gives his occupation as miller, abode Lewisham Bridge.

He only lived there briefly, before returning to his birthplace, Sudbury, where his third child, Harton King, was christened in 1829. Then he gave his occupation as coal merchant.

I’ve searched the web and found there was a Lewisham Bridge Mill. However, I can’t find any more details.

Can anyone recommend any books on Lewisham/Kent that mention this mill? Or an archive that might have this info - I’ve checked on A2A, but couldn’t see anything.

Thank you for your help!

Tony Brown
07-09-2005, 8:17 PM
Strangely enough I have just received a photocopy of a photo of Lewisham Bridge Mill from Lewisham Archives today
I am searching for a mill a few hundreds yards away from Lewisham Bridge Mill just off the main road Loampit Vale/Loampit Hill.

Have you tried Lewisham Archives, come back to me if not and I'll point you in the right direction.
best wishes
Tony Brown, Dartford

susan-w
07-09-2005, 8:42 PM
Hi Tony
I’d looked at their catalogue on Access2Archives, but hadn’t found anything related to the mill.

However, it sounds as if they have other info not listed in the catalogue. I’ll contact them to see.

Thank you very much for that idea. Much appreciated.
Sue

Ed McKie
08-09-2005, 2:56 AM
From a History of Lewisham pub 1907

Lewisham Bridge is marked on Rocues map of 1745 as "Stone Bridge" If this is to be taken literally it would indicate theat one of the mediavel high-backed stone bridges existed at that date........

The Bridge which occupied this position for the first half of the 19th c was a red brick bridge probably of 18th c date......The bridge was replaced in 1872-73 by the existing iron bridge..............
Passing over Lewisham Bridge a turning on the left now knows as Mill Rd leads up to one of the many mills on the Ravensbourne.""

Cheers..Ed

susan-w
12-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Ed

Thank you very much for the interesting info. I guess that most of the mills have now gone. I know that Lewisham Bridge Mill has.

Cheers
Sue

Ken Boyce
12-09-2005, 7:13 PM
Hi Susan
Following on from Ed’s posting

There is a copy of the 1st Ed of the 1746 Rocque Map available for viewing at
www.motco.com
Note the year is 1746 not 1745 and the southeast corner of the map does not appear to extend out to the Deptford/North Lewisham area. However my knowledge of that area is limited - or possibly Rocque published another map covering the area thus explaining the difference in the year.

The 1862 Stanford Map also viewable on the Motco site does extend to Lewisham and covers the full length of the Ravensbourne River. Unfortunately the online version only has a partial index (I have the full18,000 index on the CD version). Locate RENNEL St or any streets with a (25,22) sector ref in the index and this will take you an area of Mills on the river

Regards

southwest = southeast

sandiep
12-09-2005, 9:00 PM
if you go to
www.ideal-homes.org.uk/lewisham/lewisham-bridge-mill-1880.htm
there is a photo of the Mill and a few details it was last used in the 1930,s and has been demolished now

sandie

for some reason the url hasnot come out right it should be

after ideal homes.org,uk/lewisham/lewisham-bridge-mill-1880.htm.

susan-w
03-10-2005, 11:08 AM
I’m so sorry I haven’t replied before. I didn’t mean to be rude, it just slipped my mind, as I haven’t had time to look at family history much lately. Your posts are much appreciated.

Ken, I hadn’t really looked at the MOTO site before, but now I have finally got round to it, I can see it is really useful. I’ll be using it for other family members, not just Charles King!

Sandie, the Ideal Home site is also really interesting, not just for Lewisham, but for other areas in London. Thank you for drawing my attention to it.

Thank you again! I hope to be more on-the-ball next time.
Sue