PDA

View Full Version : 14th Light Dragoons - Court Martial

Peggy
03-05-2005, 12:16 PM
While doing my searches in The Times, I found an Oct 1793 news item reporting that a Captain in the 14th Light Dragoons had been honourably acquitted by a Court Martial held at Kilkenny. That was all.

I'd like to find out with what offense he'd been charged. Couldn't find any earlier mention in The Times. I don't get any hits for his name and the regiment in Procat. Is there any hope? Would any record exist somewhere?

Thanks,

Peggy

Geoffers
07-06-2005, 8:34 AM
While doing my searches in The Times, I found an Oct 1793 news item reporting that a Captain in the 14th Light Dragoons had been honourably acquitted by a Court Martial held at Kilkenny. That was all.
I'd like to find out with what offense he'd been charged. Couldn't find any earlier mention in The Times. I don't get any hits for his name and the regiment in Procat. Is there any hope? Would any record exist somewhere?

The records will be in The National Archives at Kew, but not searchable online by name. There is a research guide
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=28
It looks like you need to view records from WO71/13-64.

I haven't used Army court martial records before, but if they're anything like RN Court Martial (one of my gt-gt-grandfathers was a naughty lad - twice), they take some time to work through and are not the easiest records use.

Geoffers

Peggy
07-06-2005, 2:42 PM
Hi Geoffers,

Interesting browsing. They seem to have them listed by names and unpleasant offenses (child molestation, rape) right up to recent dates. But not for 1793, of course. In fact, the date range seems to skip out the relevant one, unless The Times for October was reporting rather stale news from Ireland.

WO 71/32, General Courts Martial, 1791 Dec.-1793 March

The next set is for 1794.

Thanks!

Peggy

nemisis
10-06-2005, 2:01 PM
have you tried the royal armoured corps at bovington dorset, that regiment amalgamated with the 20 hussars i think, and was called the 14/20 kings royal hussars, what they are called now i have no idea

Peggy
11-06-2005, 2:14 AM
[have you tried the royal armoured corps at bovington dorset, that regiment amalgamated with the 20 hussars i think, and was called the 14/20 kings royal hussars, what they are called now i have no idea]

If they are the successor to the 14th Light Dragoons, is there any reason to think that they'd have custody of a court-martial record from 1793? :confused:

Peggy