PDA

View Full Version : advice please

martina
12-10-2004, 10:29 PM
I am not really new to genealogy but my mind has gone blank and I've hit a brick wall. I am looking for a John Campbell birth cert. have his date of birth which is 15 February 1892, but I’ve look for him on the birth index there is no John Campbell named in that qrt birth place south shields, the only other ones that could match are in Dec qrt what I would like to know is how long did a family have to register a birth and if the child was born March would it be in the Dec qrt. (Getting desperate) I’ve tried the following year 1893 as there was one John in the March qrt but its not him I sent off for the cert but have had an e mail back to say that the father and mother where not my John Campbell's which are John and Annie.

I’ve re named this guy the Scarlet Pimpernel as I've been looking for him for years I know he was around as I have his death cert and two uncles’ by him <g>

Martina

Geoffers
12-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I am not really new to genealogy but my mind has gone blank and I've hit a brick wall. I am looking for a John Campbell birth cert. have his date of birth which is 15 February 1892, but I’ve look for him on the birth index there is no John Campbell named in that qrt birth place south shields, the only other ones that could match are in Dec qrt what I would like to know is how long did a family have to register a birth and if the child was born March would it be in the Dec qrt. (Getting desperate)
Martina
I believe the time allowed for registering a birth is/was 6 weeks, so at most he should just turn up in the June Quarter.

Just some passing thoughts:

Is your source for the date of birth correct? Could someone at sometime have written this down as 15/11/1892 and someone else have then misread the month as roman numerals?

Have you tried looking under John Cambell?

Did he have another forename which was never used after birth (Aloysius Arbuthnot John Campbell???!!! )

Was he born illegitimate under another surname?
If you have his father's name from his marriage certificate, have you tried to find the father in the 1891 census and also in the GRO marriage index?

Could he have been born other than in South Shields? Maybe born at sea and subsequently landed at South Shields??

Could his parents have failed to register him?

If in doubt consider and all else fails, consider convoluted explanations involving gooseberry bushes and alien abduction.

Geoffers

Have you tried looking under John Cambell?</P>

</P>

Did he have another forename which was never used after birth (Aloysius Arbuthnot John Campbell???!!! )</P>

</P>

Was he born illegitimate under another surname? </P>

If you have his father's name from his marriage certificate, have you tried to find the father in the 1891 census and also in the GRO marriage index?</P>

</P>

Could he have been born other than in South Shields? Maybe born at sea and subsequently landed at South Shields??</P>

</P>

Could his parents have failed to register him?</P>

</P>

If in doubt consider and all else fails, consider convoluted explanations involving gooseberry bushes and alien abduction.</P>

</P>

Geoffers</P>

Charlbury, Oxfordshire</P>

martina
14-10-2004, 3:27 PM
Hello Geoffers

Thank you for your ideas

>[QUOTE=Geoffers]I believe the time allowed for registering a birth is/was 6 >weeks, so at most he should just turn up in the June Quarter.

>Just some passing thoughts:

>Is your source for the date of birth correct? Could someone at sometime >have written this down as 15/11/1892 and someone else have then misread >the month as roman numerals?

All the information that I have on John’s birth are his on his Attestation papers when he join the CEF during WW1. The date of birth is typed then there is his Death cert where I’ve just only noticed is the year 1892 no month or day

>Have you tried looking under John Cambell?

yes !!!!!!

>If you have his father's name from his marriage certificate, have you tried to >find the father in the 1891 census and also in the GRO marriage index?

I have the fathers name which is John Campbell I know that the mothers name is Annie her surname is unknown, I don’t know if they where married or even living together at the time of the 1891 census (shall take a look at the census next week when go to the archives. There are about three John Campbell married to Annie’s in South Shields around that time without knowing Annie's last name I don’t know which would be my John and Annie

>Could he have been born other than in South Shields? Maybe born at sea >and subsequently landed at South Shields??

John could have been born in Scotland as that is where his father came from, but on his death and attestation paper also on the 1901 cense it says either England or South Shields. Just had a thought wonder if the birth could have been registered at Newcastle, not so sure about that as South Shields is where you go to register birth deaths etc around that area. Hebburn Jarrow etc

n abduction.o:p/o:p/SPAN/PP style="BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; MARGIN: 0px"SPAN style="COLOR: black" I am b> </P>>Could his parents have failed to register him?

That is possible but since I received your message I decide to look for his brother Charles 3 months and sister Martha age 5 on the 1901 census, both their names are being as elusive as Johns :confused:

>If in doubt consider and all else fails, consider convoluted explanations >involving gooseberry bushes and alien abduction.

I am begin to believe it could be the later :)
Martina

Geoffers
14-10-2004, 4:26 PM
[That is possible but since I received your message I decide to look for his brother Charles 3 months and sister Martha age 5 on the 1901 census, both their names are being as elusive as Johns :confused: ]

GRO index of births
Jun 1901, CAMPBELL, Charles, S.Shields 10a 854

The census was on 31 Mar 1901, if Charles was 3 months old then and the parents were late registering him.....??

Well, just a thought

Good luck

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

martina
14-10-2004, 7:07 PM
[That is possible but since I received your message I decide to look for his brother Charles 3 months and sister Martha age 5 on the 1901 census, both their names are being as elusive as Johns :confused: ]
GRO index of births
Jun 1901, CAMPBELL, Charles, S.Shields 10a 854
The census was on 31 Mar 1901, if Charles was 3 months old then and the parents were late registering him.....??
Well, just a thought
Good luck
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire
That is possable I will send off for the cert and will let you know what happens Thankyou for your help and ideas :)

Tricia
15-10-2004, 9:24 PM
Hello Martina,

Quite often people did not register the birth within the first weeks. If I have a problem I always check the next quarter. e.g. my grandmother was born in Dec but not registered until Feb. Hope this helps. Also remember the possibility that the information was lost on its way through the system. Could be worth trying a fam.history soc. in the area.

martina
18-10-2004, 5:05 PM
Hello Martina,

Quite often people did not register the birth within the first weeks. If I have a problem I always check the next quarter. e.g. my grandmother was born in Dec but not registered until Feb. Hope this helps. Also remember the possibility that the information was lost on its way through the system. Could be worth trying a fam.history soc. in the area.
HelloTricia I am going to try the baptist church records this week but with out knowing the church or where abouts in south shields they lived at the time it is going to be a long search but then if genealogy was easy we wouldnt be doing it would we :) .

Di&Trev
01-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Had a quick look for John Campbells on Ancestry. Have you considered any of these:
John William Campbell 1892 Dec q South Shields. Co.Durham Tyne & Wear 10a 760
John Baxter Campbell 1892 March q. Gateshead. Co Durham, Tyne & Wear 10a 856
John Albert Campbell 1892 Dec q . Sunderland. Co Durham, Tyne & Wear
10a 582
John Campbell. 1892 Dec q . Gateshead. Co Durham Tyne & Wear. 10a 851
John William Campbell. 1892 Dec q. Durham. Co Durham 10a 353
JOhn Campbell. 1892 Dec q Middlesborough. Co Durham. North Riding of Yorkshire. 9d 591.
Hope you find him!