PDA

View Full Version : Pritchard

Lone Pine
29-04-2010, 1:37 PM
Hi I am trying to find where in Wales my maiden name came from, it has been muted in the family that it was Monmouthshire, why no one seems to know, but I have a William Pritchard born 1790 married to an Ann (Anne) Maddox c1793, now I have been told that they think that Maddox is a Welsh name, any pointers to any help would be much appreciated. All the Pritchards are involved in Carpentry, so I know I am looking for a Pritcahrd who was into "wood" lol.

Jan1954
29-04-2010, 1:48 PM
If you are interested in specific surnames, then you may find Surnames and their origins (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P26653&pageOffset=0) of interest. :smile5:

John Nicholas
29-04-2010, 3:51 PM
Hello Lone Pine,

Pritchard is a Welsh surname, but there would be no reason to associate it particularly with Monmouthshire, more than another Welsh county. It comes from the system of patronymics, where Rhys, the son of Richard, would be known as Rhys ap Richard (compare Mac in Scotland). Rhys's son might be Gareth ap Rhys. At some stage in the 18th and 19th centuries, surnames were adopted and, depending where they were in the patronymics, the family could become Pri(t)chard - ap Richard - or Preece/ Price (ap Rhys), for example.

Maddox is also probably Welsh, from the man's name Madog.

Have you got any independent evidence of where your William Pritchard came from - eg censuses?

John

Lone Pine
30-04-2010, 1:12 PM
Hi John

No I have not, and I just don't know where to start to look, but someone in the family did say Monmouthshire. I know its like trying to find a needle in a haystack :-(