PDA

View Full Version : Spa Rd -Alscott Rd. Bermondsey

Waitabit
24-04-2010, 9:28 PM
During a lull yesterday, I took a Google street trip to Bermondsey, be it in Surrey or London these days. I went down Spa Rd, which seemed to confuse Google a bit (or maybe my handling of the little man), then Alscott Rd which now seems to be in Camberwell. A boundary thing I guess.
My Gt.G'Parents lived in both of these places at some time & I wonder if todays buildings are the same ones as in the 1890s (perhaps with a touchup) or are they more recently built?

Can anyone help here please?

Kerrywood
24-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Much of that area has been rebuilt, as a combined result of slum clearance and Blitz damage.

Have you seen Ideal Homes - Suburbia in Focus (http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/main/images-bermondsey.htm)? It's excellent for period photos of this area.

Waitabit
24-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks Kerrywood, I did think so but the homes I saw were hard to date....I'll have a look at your suggestion.

I had seen those, thanks , Lynton Rd was another Family address at one time.

Kerrywood
24-04-2010, 11:33 PM
For detailed information about specific addresses, you could email Southwark Local Studies library (http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200161/local_history_library) who are normally very helpful with this sort of query.

Waitabit
24-04-2010, 11:50 PM
That's worth trying thanks again Kerrywood, doing well here,...so-oooo how are you on Military queries? :)

Had to hang out the washed thingies.

Kerrywood
24-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I think you're better off with Doug. :wink5:

Waitabit
25-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks, I'm going to Canada again, see what I can find :)

Vossy
25-04-2010, 9:09 PM
What was the London Borough of Bermondsey in now in the London Borough of Southwark. If you put Bermondseyboy in a search engine there is an excellent site with hundreds of photos and memories about Bermondsey.

Vossy

Waitabit
26-04-2010, 12:10 AM
You beaut Vossy! Thankyou, but now..having partaken of some of those piccies..I'm further away from my ironing basket. shall have to come back. Is there aphoto of Pages Walk in there,... Guinness Bldgs.? The one you mentioned some time back? My Familyx2 were in there in 1901, don't know how long.
Google Street map said Alscott Rd was in C'well. :)
Just time for a quick looky here & off to the presses.

Vossy
26-04-2010, 7:00 PM
Yes the photo of the buildings is on that site. If you send your e mail address I will send you a copy together with the blank tenancy agreement and rules. I couldn't work out how to attach the pic to a private message.

Vossy

Waitabit
26-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Great photos Vosssy. Thank you for mentioning the site, so much better than old maps & imagination. Still like the old maps too of course.

I did manage to finish my ironing eventually.
pm sent.