PDA

View Full Version : Robert Glanville - St Mawgan in Pydar

Barbara Wilkinson
02-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Robert Glanvil(le) married Elizabeth Andean/Endean in St Columb Minor 23 November 1789, witnesses Ann Trebilcock and Thomas Glanvil

Lots of confusion surrounds Robert - quite a number of people with whom I have had contact are interested in this family, and differing parentage has been put forward!!

One of my theories is that he is the son of Thomas Glanville and Agnes Cardell, baptised 28 April 1765 at St Mawgan in Pydar. Thomas and Agnes had other children, William, Thomas, John and Elizabeth baptised St Columb Minor and St Mawgan.

I can find nothing about Agnes Cardell, other than her marriage to Thomas - 18 May 1752 at St Columb Minor, but Thomas may be the son of Samuel Glanvil and Grace Trebilcock.

Any help appreciated!!

Scottie
02-05-2005, 3:36 PM
Dear Barbara,
I am pretty sure he is the son ofThomas Glanvil and Agnes Cardel as he is the only Robert around and I have his baptism in St Mawgan on 8 Apr 1765. Elizabeth Endean I believe to be the daughter of Robert Endean and Ann Unknown(to me at any rate :D ) baptised 19 Apr 1761 in Newlyn East. Agnes Cardel I have yet to identify though.

Barbara Wilkinson
02-05-2005, 4:06 PM
Thanks Scottie!

Other researchers had suggested he was baptised 30 October 1771 St Wenn, the son of Samuel Glanvil and Mary Brewer, but that never "sat well" with me because it made him very young to be marrying! Not that that always means anything ....:D

Elizabeth is - as far as I am aware - the daughter of Robert and Ann. I have searched high and low for a suitable marriage for them, without success - so if anyone out there knows anything ....... ;)
I belive Robert Endean to have been baptised 2 February 1726/27 at St Newlyn East, the son of Thomas and Ann (nee Nicholas).

Another "quirky" thing I had seen in the PRs was a baptism at St Columb Major of Elizabeth Glanville Endean, daughter of Elizabeth Endean. There was a B in the margin of the register - would this have mean "bastard"? Seems very coincidental to me - I feel there is a connection here too!

Scottie
02-05-2005, 5:04 PM
Thanks Scottie!
Another "quirky" thing I had seen in the PRs was a baptism at St Columb Major of Elizabeth Glanville Endean, daughter of Elizabeth Endean. There was a B in the margin of the register - would this have mean "bastard"? Seems very coincidental to me - I feel there is a connection here too!Yes she was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Endean who I believe was born 1761 in Newlyn East to Robert Endean and Ann :D and I think she was the daughter of Robert Glanvil because of the middle name.

Barbara Wilkinson
02-05-2005, 5:19 PM
That's what I have always supposed ....!

I have Elizabeth's baptism as 19 March 1761, St Newlyn East, one of six children born to Robert and Ann.

I have seen the Banns of Marriage for Robert and Elizabeth Glanville - Elizabeth is a sojourer in the parish of St Columb Minor - and I have had this fanciful picture of her being drummed out of Newlyn for having a bastard child .......:D

terribrown
26-11-2008, 7:15 AM
Agnes Cardell was married to Thomas Glanville . Agnes parents were William Cardell (born 1689 and died 1746) and Agnes Clemens about who I know nothing. Williams father was John Cardell from Perranzabuloe Cornwall - born 1666 and died 1733 I am related after a decendant Sarah Curnow Parminter Cardell married John Richard Golley and they migrated to Sth Australia in the 1800's

Barbara Wilkinson
26-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Agnes Cardell was married to Thomas Glanville . Agnes parents were William Cardell (born 1689 and died 1746) and Agnes Clemens about who I know nothing. Williams father was John Cardell from Perranzabuloe Cornwall - born 1666 and died 1733 I am related after a decendant Sarah Curnow Parminter Cardell married John Richard Golley and they migrated to Sth Australia in the 1800's

Thank you very much for that - always good to know that very old posts still attract attention!
I had not got much further in the intervening years - except for finding two baptisms in Perranzabuloe that I thought might fit into the family somewhere:
Agnis - daughter of Thomas Cardell - 22 February 1667/8
Agnis - daughter of Ralfe Cardell - 10 June 1676
I must have missed Agnes, daughter of William in my trawl through the microfiche, although it was very damaged and largely unreadable! Do you know when she was born, or when her parents married?
I would appreciate any further information you may have.
Thanks again

Adrian Cardell
18-03-2009, 3:23 AM
Agnes Cardell's name appears, with her sisters, on a 19th Century Cardell Wheel pedigree, a copy of which I have. Any Cardell family member may have a copy of the Cardell pedigree and family history from me by sending e-mail address to me at:

acardell6 AT bigpond DOT com

Adrian Cardell

Barbara Wilkinson
18-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Thank you for the kind offer!
Email sent .....