PDA

View Full Version : Old Felstedienses

deeree
21-04-2010, 4:01 AM
I bought a little copy of Alumni Felstedienses today which lists the names of boys who entered the Felsted school from its foundation to 1903. The first headmaster was at the school in 1566, but the names of the pupils don't start until the 5th headmaster is at the school 1627 - 49. The biographical detail relating to each boy varies, but often includes year of birth and death, name of father and subsequent employment. Some C19th entries include address, clubs, sports played and subsequent university. There is an index and I would be happy to 'lookup' any names.

mooser
07-07-2010, 6:44 PM
Thank you for your post and kind offer to look up a name. The person I would be interested in learning about is Baily (Bayly) Heath
He was born 1716. If there are other Heath's would you also let me know. Thanking you in advance. David Cox
Name: Baily Heath
College: CORPUS CHRISTI
Died: 1760
More Information: Adm. at CORPUS CHRISTI, 1733. S. of Thomas, of Mile-end, Stepney. B. in Middlesex. School, Felsted. Of Stanstead Mountfichet, Essex, Esq. High Sheriff of Essex, 1748. Died July 9, 1760. Perhaps brother of Thomas (1734-5). (G. Mag.; Manning and Bray, I. 498.)

deeree
07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Hello Mooser,

Welcome to Brit-Gen.

The entry for Bailey (sic) HEATH.
Son of Thomas Heath, of Mile End. Resided at Stanstead Hall. High Sheriff of Essex, 1747. Died July 9, 1760.

The headmaster at the time that Baily was at the school was The Rev. Hugh HUTCHIN, M.A. 1712 - 25. The next headmaster was Rev. John WYATT, M.A. 1725 - 50.

I'm sorry that doesn't give you much you didn't already know. Baily is the only HEATH in the index. Judging by Baily's date of birth and the dates of his headmaster being at the school, Baily was there at a very young age.

Apparently there is a [I]History of Felsted School, [I] by Sargeaunt. Some of the names and details of the boys have been obtained from that. Other names have been taken from the admission registers of the Cambridge Colleges.

Oliver CROMWELL's four sons attended the school.

rogtut
26-09-2010, 9:27 PM
Hello deeree

I''ve recently been doing some work on the Sargeaunt family and found your post searching for the name. Please would you let me know if any Sargeaunts or Chavasses are listed.

Thanks

deeree
26-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Hello rogtut,
Sorry, no Sargeaunts or Chavasses in the index of pupils. The volume I have is dated 1903, and judging from the foreward where Mr Sargeaunt is mentioned as having complied a list of Felstedians before 1800, Mr Sargeaunt was able to give permission for that list to be used in compiling the list I have. So he was still alive in 1903 or thereabouts. That seems to be the only reference to any Sargeaunts.

benny1982
07-10-2010, 1:17 PM
Hi Deree.

Could you lookup anyone withe the surname Clift please? I would be very grateful.

Ben

deeree
07-10-2010, 9:23 PM
Hi Ben,

Sorry, no CLIFT's listed.

benny1982
08-10-2010, 8:40 AM
Hi Deree

Thanks anyway. Can I be cheeky and ask for one more request please? Can you lookup anyone with the surname Livermore and Childs please? I have Livermore and Childs ancestors from Felstead.

Ben

deeree
08-10-2010, 9:48 PM
Hi Ben,

William Leppingwell LIVERMORE. Jan 1876 - April 1876. 52 Stapleton Hall Road, Stroud Green, N.
M.R.C.S Eng. L.R.C.P. Lond. 1884. L.S.A., 1884 (Middlx Hosp.).

His housemaster would have been Rev. A.W. ROWE. The headmaster was Rev. D.S. INGRAM, M.A.

There is a J.T. CHILD, but no CHILDS.

suzannewozere2
27-02-2011, 2:34 AM
Hello Mooser,

Welcome to Brit-Gen.

The entry for Bailey (sic) HEATH.
Son of Thomas Heath, of Mile End. Resided at Stanstead Hall. High Sheriff of Essex, 1747. Died July 9, 1760.

The headmaster at the time that Baily was at the school was The Rev. Hugh HUTCHIN, M.A. 1712 - 25. The next headmaster was Rev. John WYATT, M.A. 1725 - 50.

I'm sorry that doesn't give you much you didn't already know. Baily is the only HEATH in the index. Judging by Baily's date of birth and the dates of his headmaster being at the school, Baily was there at a very young age.

Apparently there is a [I]History of Felsted School, [I] by Sargeaunt. Some of the names and details of the boys have been obtained from that. Other names have been taken from the admission registers of the Cambridge Colleges.

Oliver CROMWELL's four sons attended the school.

Stansted Hall is now the home of The Arthur Findlay College, it is a beautiful building. See arthurfindlaycollege.org
Also the school has a site for past pupils at felsted.org.uk