PDA

View Full Version : National Burial Index 3

Waitabit
20-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Can anyone please tell me the content of the new National Burial Index re- from what year to when? How much is missed out?..etc. Where is it available, yes I did look here (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P89365&pageOffset=0)

It's got a hefty price in English pounds so 'other money' would take some pronouncing. It would be good to know what one gets for the money. Probably a few years pocket money for many of us but could be so helpful........couldn't it?

http://bestsmileys.com/money/6.gif

Kerrywood
20-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Have a look here?

www.
ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php

Waitabit
20-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks Kerrywood, happily I see 30 pounds..not 50 as my eyes told me earlier....Not quite so bad. I had seen the map was unsure if current or not. guess that means ALL known burials are included?

Kerrywood
20-04-2010, 12:39 AM
guess that means ALL known burials are included?
I don't think so.

"Coverage is incomplete, but over 18.4 million records are included in this edition, covering 1538-2008."

Waitabit
20-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Just hit something & kocked myself of the Forum!!!!!!

What's the bet I know who the missing people are? :)

SueNSW
20-04-2010, 1:26 AM
Both the Family History groups I belong to locally (here in NSW) have Edition 2 and are in the process of getting hold of the latest one - perhaps you could check locally

The entries are on Find My Past but I'm not sure (and would be interested if anyone knows) whether they yet have all the extra entries from version 3 loaded

Cheers
Sue

Waitabit
20-04-2010, 1:53 AM
Good thinking,...thanks Sue.

Peter Goodey
20-04-2010, 8:03 AM
If it's like NBI2, it will only run under the Windows operating system and they will be so obsessed with preventing copying that there will be copy protection software that may prevent installation on some totally innocent PCs. It will also be grossly overpriced.

It is something to use in libraries rather than something to buy.

Kerrywood
20-04-2010, 8:29 AM
The entries are on Find My Past
Not all of them. Some FHS would not allow their data to be used there.

but I'm not sure (and would be interested if anyone knows) whether they yet have all the extra entries from version 3 loaded

Not yet. I think the FFHS will want to sell some copies of the CD first. :wink5:

Pam Downes
20-04-2010, 9:17 AM
If it's like NBI2, it will only run under the Windows operating system and they will be so obsessed with preventing copying that there will be copy protection software that may prevent installation on some totally innocent PCs. It will also be grossly overpriced.

It is something to use in libraries rather than something to buy.
NBI 3 is thirty quid, much cheaper than NBI 2. Plus if you have already purchased NBI 2 you can upgrade for only fifteen quid.
There also seems to have been a difference in how it works on your computer. ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-v3.php
I notice in the coverage (see Kerrywood's link) that there are entries for quite a few cemeteries, which could be useful.
For anyone thinking of buying NBI 3, yes, it's relatively pricey, but cheap when considered against buying records on an individual basis from the various FHS. And worth the money if it would save you buying three death certificates. What you must do, is to carefully check the dates of the places covered (click on the counties). It's all very well getting excited because your place is in the list only to be disappointed to find after purchase that the burials are for 1750 - 1800 and your ancestor died in 1810. :smile5: And also has already been mentioned, some of the entries from NBI 2 are on FMP.
Pam

Peter Goodey
20-04-2010, 9:45 AM
much cheaper than NBI 2

which doesn't necessarily make it good value for money

There also seems to have been a difference in how it works on your computer

But nothing to contradict the bold parts of my message

check the dates of the places covered

Yes indeed. And too high a proportion of the NBI3 data covers unneeded post-1837 data.

My fundamental objections stand - it's a product that only works on an operating system from one specific supplier and then only if it's configured in a way that meets the unspecified approval of some anti-copying system.

Waitabit
20-04-2010, 9:47 AM
Oh...that word (b....r). As said before guess whose lot are not there. Lived without it so long, can do longer.
FMP has ONE entry re my Family in travel. A large Family. See why I haven't capitulated & signed up further?

SueNSW
20-04-2010, 9:04 PM
And too high a proportion of the NBI3 data covers unneeded post-1837 data.

Before Ancestry indexed deaths well into the 20th Century - I found Great G parents burials in 1939 and 1952 - and MIL's young sister from 1928 - she had no idea where she had been buried as she was only 3 at the time of her death

Sorry Peter - I can see you obviously have some points against it - but I certainly don't see any of the NBI info as being unneeded - it's yet another useful tool

Cheers
Sue