PDA

View Full Version : Fennell/maloney/guiry

annewilson
02-05-2005, 6:28 AM
I am trying to find evidence of the family of my great-grandmother Catherine Fennell who was born in March 1857 supposedly in Clonmel. She emigrated to New Zealand aged 18 with a cousin Sarah Mahoney or Guiry. Sarah signed Catherine's marriage certificate as a witness under the surname Maloney but later married under the name Guiry. Is anyone else researching these names? Sarah gave her father's name as Patrick Guiry and Catherine's father was Michael Fennell. There were some Fennells in Clonmel St Mary in the 1850s but I have been unable to find out who the families were. Any help would be appreciated

Anne

gerehu
24-09-2008, 7:21 AM
My G Granfather was William Henry Fennell who came to england and married Harriet Eliza Olive in London. His father was William Fennell an army doctor. In the census he gave his place of birth as Ireland. I don't have any other information so am interested in your Clomelly connection.

JennyP
28-12-2008, 4:47 PM
I see this is an old post but if you are still looking, I have a Maloney ancestor from Drinagh in Cork (born around 1835) who was variously shown as Mahony, Mahoney, Maloney though never Guiry. I think the census takers probably had a problem with her accent and she could neither read nor write so the spelling was never corrected. Her first name was also confused and she could be Honora, Hannah, Nora or Norah depending where you find her. She came to England during the potato famine so the family story goes.