PDA

View Full Version : Wentnor Census for 1841 - Andrews surname

Llanerfyl
02-05-2005, 5:31 AM
Could someone tell me how available the 1841 Census for the Wentnor area of Shropshire is?

I have a family in 1851 in Staffordshire consisting of four children:

Sarah Andrews b. ca. 1828
Thomas Andrews b. ca. 1831
John Andrews b. ca. 1835
Edward Andrews b. ca. 1837

All four children, according to the 1851, were born in "Shropshire, Wentnor"

Later censuses through 1901 have varying birth places for each of the different children, except John, such as Stretton, Minsterely, Bogmine, and Church Stretton. John's birthplace from 1851-1901 is always given as Wentnor.

These children's parents were Thomas Andrews b. ca. 1799 in Stretton and Mary Unknown b. ca. 1800 in Stretton (birthplace is from the 1871...the 1851 for Mary gives her birthplace as "Picklescott")

I am very interested in finding this family in Shropshire (unless they had already moved to Staffordshire) in the 1841 census.

Please advise...Richard J. Davis

Geoffers
02-05-2005, 8:25 AM
Could someone tell me how available the 1841 Census for the Wentnor area of Shropshire is?

First place to look is The Archive CDBooks (http://www.parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_2421.html)catalogue

As the images produced are excellent.

Other than that, you should find it at The Family Records Centre (FRC) in London and also the County Record Office covering the area. If a place is near the border with another county, you will often find that the neighbouring county will also keep the census for that area.

Local Family History Societies often produce transcripts or indexes of census returns to assist research.

[QUOTE=LlanerfylAll four children, according to the 1851, were born in "Shropshire, Wentnor". Later censuses through 1901 have varying birth places for each of the different children, except John, such as Stretton, Minsterely, Bogmine, and Church Stretton. John's birthplace from 1851-1901 is always given as Wentnor.[/QUOTE]
This isn't that unusual and could represent a couple of different scenarios. Possibly the family moved about and the the various children were born in these places - or grew up there, believing themselves to have been born there. Possibly in 1851, the person who filled in the schedule just put Wentnor 'cos he couldn't be bothered to put in anything else?
Unless there is a published index, you may have to check a fairly wide area to locate your family, but in rural areas with small parishes it doesn't take too long to check a district or two.

Geoffers