PDA

View Full Version : A Catholic Orphanage in Enfield

Bunny1951
17-04-2010, 2:21 PM
I am looking for a catholic orphanage in enfield in 1920-1933, run by nun's my father was raised there thanks for any help. Bunny1951

Jan1954
17-04-2010, 2:29 PM
Hello Bunny1951,

It could well have been St Joseph's. There is an article on the BBC's WW2 People's War (http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/87/a4038987.shtml) about one lad's experiences there. A bit later than your Dad's days, but pertinent all the same. :smilewinkgrin:

LaurenceB
17-04-2010, 5:29 PM
St Joseph's is mentioned briefly on the Catholic Children's Society website: cathchild.org.uk/pages/history.html - put www. in front (opened in 1890, extended in 1926).

(I had a relative at another of their orphanages).

Laurence.

Bunny1951
19-04-2010, 3:27 PM
Thanks for that I will look in to that further, Bunny1951

Peter Goodey
19-04-2010, 3:40 PM
Thanks for that I will look in to that further

If you're hoping to find records, I wouldn't advise investing too much effort. To the best of my knowledge all but a small handful of Roman Catholic orphanage archives have been destroyed or otherwise put beyond use.

LaurenceB
20-04-2010, 3:30 PM
If you're hoping to find records, I wouldn't advise investing too much effort. To the best of my knowledge all but a small handful of Roman Catholic orphanage archives have been destroyed or otherwise put beyond use.

Perhaps I was lucky, but when I asked the CCS if they had any information on my relative, they sent me a copy of a register with his name and dates of entry and leaving and financial contribution from his mother (no, he wasn't actually an orphan), as well as a map and pictures of the institution. They did ask for a £15 donation but that seemed fair enough. This was St Mary's, North Hyde near Heston. On the other hand I have not been able to trace any records from St Anne's, Leicester Place, Soho, where his sister was sent.

pladju kate
26-06-2010, 8:41 PM
Hi Bunny,
Information about St Joseph's home for children can be found on
www.
blaisdonbrotherhood.info

It is a website for past pupils of the home and is well worth a look.
pladju kate

louismc44
11-03-2012, 7:37 PM
Hi all
My name is Louis Boyce
I was brought up at St Joseph in Enfield. I spent 10 years there, from 1949-1959
What was your dads name?

Bunny1951
14-03-2012, 2:57 PM
Hi Louis My Dad's name was Edward Bunn he was in St Joseph in Enfield from 1919-1933/4 & he hated every day, Nice to hear from somebody else that was in St Joseph. All the best Phillip Bunn

DannyVenlet
25-11-2018, 2:44 PM
Hi all
My name is Louis Boyce
I was brought up at St Joseph in Enfield. I spent 10 years there, from 1949-1959
What was your dads name?

Hi Louis,

I am looking for information about Juanita Dirks Dates out of Argentina she worked there possibly during the time you were there. Her name given to her there could be Carmella. She died in approx. 1962
Any information could be helpful.

kind regards

Danny

lancaster.jim
26-11-2018, 6:07 PM
The children's home, St Joseph's, Enfield, was run by the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul (SVP) for the 'social service' arm of the Archdiocese of Westminster - “The Society of the Crusade of Rescue and Homes for Destitute Children”. It has already been pointed out that the records of such establishments have rarely survived. This is because about 1970 the attitude of society to the care of children in need was changing, from large institutions to smaller units, and then to fostering and adoption. The underlying philosophy had been that children in need should be encouraged to start a new life and leave their old one behind. One consequence of this was that records of their earlier life were not considered valuable, and so could be lost (think Windrush!). When it was later realised that people who had been in care or been adopted were helped by knowing of their background, the authorities gathered the surviving records as best they could. For Catholic homes, the diocesan children's services usually were the collectors of these records.

As Enfield is in the Archdiocese of Westminster, I would suggest that you contact the diocesan archive service. This service has a website at https://rcdow.org.uk/diocese/archives/ There are some helpful articles and there is a contact link.

This site suggests that there MIGHT be some records with the religious organisation, in this case the Sisters of Charity. They have a website at http://www.daughtersofcharity.org.uk/ and there is a contact link with a postal address and email address for their archives.

I think it unlikely that records of employment have survived, but if you do not ask you will not know.

Josephine1951
04-04-2020, 4:57 PM
I am also looking for 1962 records

lancaster.jim
05-04-2020, 9:55 AM
If you are looking for records for St Joseph, Enfield, in 1961, have you contacted the two organisations I mentioned in my earlier post?

If you are looking for records from another institution if you provide some details, one of us may be able to suggest possible sources of information.

There is no central collection of records from child care institutions in the UK

sandersson434
30-01-2021, 6:25 PM
Hi all
My name is Louis Boyce
What was your dads name?

I believe my Uncle was there from 1939-1950. His name is Sam Hayes.

susanblowers
13-01-2022, 2:31 PM
Hi Danny

I knew Carmella .
My father was the caretaker there and my mother was the housekeeper. My sister and I used to play with Carmella. I remember her being quite a striking woman with dark hair.
I was born in 1953 so i wasn't that old.
Sue Blowers