PDA

View Full Version : Can you obtain divorce papers for 1952

renwick
14-04-2010, 10:30 PM
My parents were divorced in Newcastle in 1952, can I obtain the divorce papers. My mother would never talk about my father and both are dead now. I would like to try and find out more. If I can obtsin the divorce papers were would I apply

Procat
15-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Hi Renwick,

This thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?50215-Divorce-around-1955-7) may assist you.

renwick
15-04-2010, 9:32 AM
Thanks for your reply, however I don't need proof of the divorce or a search as such, I have the date and court on the decree sent to my mother, what I am looking for is the court case itself as I am interested in knowing exactly why they divorced and why my Dad never came to see me. I have contacted a younger step brother who said my Dad often mentioned me but he was to young to really know much and my Dad did not live with them. What I want to know is it possible to obtin the court proceedings of the Divorce. I have typed in the name in the site you mentioned but nothing comes up.

Peter Goodey
15-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I think the other thread mentioned does answer the question, specifically the answer is in the National Archives Research Guide which Doug referred to.

The important bit is "Very few survive after 1937. Case files are now destroyed 20 years after the divorce" and "1938-date: most have been destroyed. A very small annual sample has been kept, subject to 30-year closure".

Procat
15-04-2010, 12:49 PM
You could try the local newspaper archives for the time - you MIGHT get lucky.

renwick
16-04-2010, 9:03 AM
Many thanks, guess I will probably never know the true reasons. As they were not that important I doubt if it would be in the paper, but may see If I can find the Newcastle paper going at that time, although Mum lived in Hartlepool and my Dad in London I think. Thanks a lot Maureen