PDA

View Full Version : Hermann & Emilie Bielefeld Alsace - Help!

AmandaLouise
14-04-2010, 3:40 PM
Very new to Genealogy, I have found my great great grandmother (widower) with her 2 children living in London in a 1901 census, I have been told that they came over from Alsace and were Jewish (not sure if they were practicing though) She was Emilie H Bielefeld, married to Hermann (I don't know her maiden name) the 2 children are called Emilie Lily and Albert.
I don't know where to go from here, how do I find out about them via birth and marriage certificates etc?
I would really appreciate some help.
Amanda

bumblebee
14-04-2010, 5:52 PM
Hi Amandalouise

Just to help people get a 'feel' for the family, could you post the reference for the 1901 census. Where and when were they all born for instance.

Bumblebee

bibliojunkie
14-04-2010, 6:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Amanda. Bumblebee has beaten me to it re the census reference. I had a quick look on the 1901 but could not find the family. There are a couple of Hermann Bielefeld marriages on FreeBMD and on Ancestry’s London churches marriages but these chaps did not marry an Emilie.

Ali

AmandaLouise
14-04-2010, 7:58 PM
There has been a mistake and the name was interpreted as Bidefield due to the writing. They lived at Tressillian Road, Brockley, London (under Deptford St Paul, London, England) Emilie Lily Bielefeld was born about 1883 and Albert Bielefeld was born about 1885. That is all I know I'm afraid. They may have been born in Alsace, France.
Thanks for responding.

Kerrywood
14-04-2010, 8:54 PM
For anyone trying to help, the 1901 reference is

RG13; Piece: 535; Folio: 130; Page: 22
(reference to record held by TNA)

bumblebee
14-04-2010, 9:55 PM
A quick look on National Archives has bought up this. - I don't know if this is your Albert Bielefeld.

Nationality and Naturalisation: Bielefeld, Albert, from France. Resident in Hoylake, Cheshire. Certificate 13849 issued 23 September 1926.

This is closed for 100 years but you can apply under the Freedom of Information act to see the details. (They may or may not let you) Do you know if the family were in the Cheshire area in the 1920's.

Bumblebee

bumblebee
14-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I can see from Emilie Lily's marriage that her father was Hermann Bielefeld a gentleman deceased. I can't find them in 1891 so I don't know if they had not arrived by then or even if Hermann was with them. I can't see them on the incoming passenger lists.

Mother Emilie is using her middle name of Helene in 1911.

As a little aside about Henry Garland Wells the Solicitor who Emilie Lily married - the family are making trips incoming to Southampton from Durban South Africa quite regularly in the 1930's.

Bumblebee

bibliojunkie
14-04-2010, 11:01 PM
On Ancestry there is a tree with limited information on this family. Is it yours Amanda?

Ali

bumblebee
15-04-2010, 12:20 PM
This is not getting you very far backwards I know but little snippets.

If you go onto the London Gazette site and search for Bielefeld there is an announcement handled by Garland Wells Solicitors (Emily Lily's husband) to say that Albert Bielefeld and Philip Newton Bielefeld will be using the name Belfield. This is in 1940.

Bumblebee

AmandaLouise
15-04-2010, 4:56 PM
Thank you so so much for all this help.

Yes I made the tree on Ancestry.co.uk, not very well though!

How did you find Emilie (Helene) in 1911? Is it on the census? If it is, can you tell me where she was living and who was living with her?

I don't know if Albert was in Cheshire in the 1920's, unfortunately most of the family has died and I have only just found out about this side of the family. How do I go about getting the details of the information of the naturalization from the Freedom of Information act ?

I have Albert's wedding certificate which stated that both he and his father were a wardhouseman, do you know what that is?

Do you know if I can get any details of Hermann Bielefeld from Alsace?

Sorry for all the questions!

Amanda

Sue Mackay
15-04-2010, 5:10 PM
I have Albert's wedding certificate which stated that both he and his father were a wardhouseman, do you know what that is?

Are you sure it doesn't say "warehouseman"?

bumblebee
15-04-2010, 5:17 PM
Hi Amanda

Emilie (Helene) is on the pay per view site for the 1911 census which is under strict copyright so details from it cannot be posted on public forums.

If you go to the National Archives Site and go into the Catalogue, type the name Bielefeld in the 'Word or Phrase' and put HO in the 'department or series code (sounds much more trouble than it really is) press search then you will see the results come up. Click on Albert Bielefeld and you will see a highlighted phrase 'request review'. Fill in the form and take it from there.

I think what Alberts occupation is Warehouseman, which means he works in a warehouse of some sort. Perhaps the 1911 census will give you more information.

I have had a look around the bits and bobs I have access to and not found anything but perhaps someone with more experience in the French Genealogy department will be able to point you in the right direction.

Just for your future interest have a look around the London Gazette site - it is free - and you will be able to see for yourself the interesting details.

Bumblebee