PDA

View Full Version : Railings in Brixham

Sheleen
01-05-2005, 1:20 AM
Can anyone tell me if many of the iron railings in Brixham are still all bent or broken?
My great-great-great-grandfather broke the railings... and someone told me that ten years ago they were still bent!
Chas Jones (as g-g-g-grandfather was named) was out for an early morning walk one day, when he found a young lad impaled on the railings. He lifted the boy off the railings and made sure he got medical attention... But so incensed was he that such an accident could happen, he went wandering around Brixham breaking and bending all the pointed railings so no-one else would be hurt.
He did actually get arrested for it too!

Terry
01-05-2005, 12:01 PM
If this happened before WW2 then it is very unlikely that the railings still survive. Many, many railings etc were taken down, cut off what ever to help the war effort. I believe, in general, only railings that were necessary for safety survived.

Sheleen
05-05-2005, 3:55 AM
My information is that ten years ago, many of the railings were still bent over and broken.... Chas Jones 'vandalising' the railings must have happened before 1860 - though he did still live in Brixham in the 1860's.
A relative of mine actually noted the damage to the railings still being apparent approximately ten years ago... I am very curious to know if they are still that way.
Anyone?