PDA

View Full Version : Essex coroner's inquest 1 January 1885

wendy stevens
10-04-2010, 8:55 AM
I have a death cert for Margaret Donaghue (?Donoghue) which states certificate received from Charles C Lewis Coroner for Essex for inquest which took place on 1 January 1885. She died in Denmark Street West Ham on 28 December 1884.
I should like to read Coroner's report. Does anyone know if still in existence , and if so where it may be read? Would all inquests be reported in the local newspapers at that time?
Thanks
Wendy

Jan1954
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Hello Wendy,

Have a read of this TNA Research Guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=175) about Coroner's Inquests. You may well find that details were reported in the local newspaper of the time.

Peter Goodey
10-04-2010, 10:43 AM
and if so where it may be read?

In the unlikely event of the documents being extant, I should imagine the likeliest place would be Essex Record Office. The catalogue is on line so you can easily check.

As Jan says, the best source of information is likely to be the local press.

wendy stevens
11-04-2010, 9:30 AM
Thanks. I have already looked at TNA & Essex Record Office catalogue, but could not trace this inquest. I think that I shall have to contact the Record Office for their help, and also trace and inspect local newpaper for West Ham.
Regards
Wendy