PDA

View Full Version : Glascott in Cardiff

Hugh Thompson
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Does anyone have the PR's for Cardiff, I'm trying to verify the birth of Elizabeth Glascott in about 1772 in Cardiff, her father according to a cousins family tree was the Reverend John C Glascott, there's no mention of her mother's name, and there's nothing in Hugh Wallis's IGI for that period, a search of the LDS online only has another Elizabeth Glascott born around 1800 which is much too late to be the one I'm after.
Hugh.

carolchipp
06-04-2010, 11:55 PM
This may not be of any use but there is a will of a Thomas Glascott, gentleman of Cardiff, 1780 in which he leaves a sum to his grandaughter Elizabeth (daughter of his son William). William had Cornwall connections via his inheriting shares in a sloop. Another son was the Rev.Craddock Glascott - lots of church connections, the family were among the early methodists of Cardiff, though Craddock became vicar of Hatherleigh in Devon. Google 'Will of Thomas Glascott, Cardiff ' and it should be first up.

Waitabit
07-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Hugh, have you Googled 'Cardiff Parish Records' online? Seems to be a lot of items there. Tried also Rev. John C. Glascott but found only Rev.William, & others from Ireland.

A John Glascott aged 18 ..son of Thomas of Cardigan, is mentioned . may be yours? pm on the way.

Wendy

Hugh Thompson
07-04-2010, 9:57 AM
Hi Carol, thanks for that, I don't know if they are the right family or not, the family you have found being Methodist makes them I think, less likely as the Elizabeth Glascott I have, married the Reverend William Vawdrey, who as far as I know was CoE, ('tho I could be wrong there too) would that have happened if she was Methodist, it looks like an interesting part of the family that's for sure.
The one Wendy found looks like he could be Elizabeth's father,
Wendy, would the beginning of that line (below)you sent me mean John "son of" Thomas of Cardigan,?

GLASCOTT, John s. Thomas of Cardigan, co. Glamorgan, pleb. Jesus Coll. matric. 9 June 1768 aged 18; BA 1772.
So he was born abt 1750 which fits with him having a daughter born about 1772.
Thanks again.
Hugh.

Hugh Thompson
07-04-2010, 10:27 AM
It would be something if it was the same family of Glascotts that were associated with Charles Wesley.
Hugh.

Waitabit
07-04-2010, 11:08 PM
The one Wendy found looks like he could be Elizabeth's father,
Wendy, would the beginning of that line (below)you sent me mean John "son of" Thomas of Cardigan,?

GLASCOTT, John s. Thomas of Cardigan, co. Glamorgan, pleb. Jesus Coll. matric. 9 June 1768 aged 18; BA 1772.
So he was born abt 1750 which fits with him having a daughter born about 1772.
Thanks again.
Hugh.

That's how I understand it Hugh

Hugh Thompson
08-04-2010, 1:52 AM
Carol, I've tried Googleing 'Will of Thomas Glascott, Cardiff but my browser doesn't find it, I've found a lot of other stuff but not it.
Hugh.:frown5:

Hugh Thompson
08-04-2010, 10:55 AM
My post went missing?? as I said in it Wendy found the article on the will for me.
Hugh.

carolchipp
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Sorry Hugh - been away since Thursday. Looks like you have it now (I think). If not I'll send it to you.
Carol

Hugh Thompson
10-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes thanks Carol, Wendy found it for me, I don't know why my browser didn't pick it up, mind you I'm still no closer to confirming Elizabeth Glascott's birth or parents.
Hugh.

Waitabit
11-04-2010, 3:57 AM
Still hovering around your Glascott / Vawdrey Families Hugh, here are two sites which may hold interest for you. 'Vawdrey

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wbritonad/cornwall/1842/marriages/sep.html

http://www.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/index.jsp

Have you checked all of the marriages oon IGI for Elizabeth Glascott + William Vawdrey?
An interesting one is member submitted but has a William Vawdrey b. 1771 St. Nicholas, Somerset.
married 1793 to 'Elizabeth'.
Death 30 mar. 1838 Father George Vawdrey..Mother Ann Glascott.

Key in parents as william Vawdrey & Elizabeth... Births/Christenings,..batch no. C025712 + you get 6 children. two of whom have Glascot as middle names. Gwinear, Cornwall, England
may be related.

Wendy with a wired mouse!

Hugh Thompson
11-04-2010, 1:27 PM
Thanks for all your work Wendy, the ones in that batch C025712 are my GG Grandmother Mary Gwenlyan (various spellings) Vawdrey, and her siblings.
That wedding in the West Briton newspaper, would be my GG uncle William Vawdrey.
The user submitted entry "William Vawdrey b. 1771 St. Nicholas, Somerset. married 1793 to 'Elizabeth'." could be close to the mark as I have a feeling that he came from somewhere around that neck of the woods.
"Death 30 mar. 1838 Father George Vawdrey..Mother Ann Glascott." I've seen that one before, the death date is correct as I have his will, he died just before my GG Grandparents were married, but whether both William and his father married Glascott women is confusing to say the least.
Hugh.

Hugh Thompson
11-04-2010, 1:40 PM
I've just found this in the West Briton Wendy.
Hugh.
At his residence, in Gwinear, on the 29th of last month, the Rev. Wm. Vawdrey, aged 68 years. He was curate of that parish for upwards of 23 years, and for the last four years rector of Kennerleigh in Devon. Mr. Vawdrey was a man of the greatest humility, charity, and benevolence; his name will be long revered by all who knew him, particularly by the inhabitants of Gwinear, as in him the poor of that parish have lost a friend indeed. He was a scholar of the first class, being perfectly acquainted with the Latin, Greek, and Hebrew languages, in the latter of which he read his bible. He has left a large family to lament the loss of an affectionate parent and protector. His funeral was attended by nearly all the inhabitants, and scarcely was there one present who did not shed a tear to the memory of their late beloved pastor and friend.

carolchipp
12-04-2010, 6:20 PM
Hi Hugh
I think you have your Wesley connection! There are records at Chester, CR46/19, of a will proved 11th October 1792 of Ann Leonard, (she must have remarried) mother of William Vawdrey and sister of Craddock Glascott. Craddock was the son of Thomas Glascott with the Wesley connection, so the link comes through William's mother. No further with Elizabeth though.
Carol

Hugh Thompson
12-04-2010, 11:05 PM
I can't thank you both enough Carol and Wendy, I've now gained two more generations to this family line, and also sorted out some confusion I've had after reading through the will of William Vawdrey. (I've pm'd you Carol)
Now I'll have to look for the marriage of William's parents to confirm his father's name which I think was George Vawdrey,(possibly also a man of the cloth) at least I now know that his mother's name was Ann Glascott.
Hugh.

carolchipp
13-04-2010, 1:03 AM
Now I'll have to look for the marriage of William's parents to confirm his father's name which I think was George Vawdrey,(possibly also a man of the cloth) at least I now know that his mother's name was Ann Glascott.
Hugh.

There is an extracted record, IGI for this marriage
Ann Glascott m. George Vawdrey 7th February 1765, St James, Bristol, Gloucester

Hugh Thompson
13-04-2010, 3:00 AM
Thanks Carol, so there's every chance that it is correct as it's not submitted, and also I've seen George mentioned before but couldn't confirm it.
Hugh.