PDA

View Full Version : Obituaries or Wills???

Nadine Harmon
29-04-2005, 6:54 PM
I really need some help here from those in the know!
Elias Payne Shaw was my Grandmother's brother. He remained in England & she immigrated to the US with their parents.
I just received a death certificate for Elias Payne Shaw died on the 4 Aug 1931 at 7 Lansdowne Road. He was 80 years old and a Relieving Officer, retired.
The death was registered in Wanstead, West Ham, Essex, by N G Shaw, his son, on 5 Aug 1931. Norman was living at 15 East Road, West Ham.
I know N G was Norman George and I have his marriage 1913 to Edith Beatrice Brown & death certificate for 1996 in Devon (no relatvies mentioned).
I'm trying desperately to find relatives of this Shaw family in England.
The death certificates are giving me information I already have.
My questions are:
How can I get copies of obituaries for 1931 Essex & 1996 Devon?
Are copies of wills available somewhere?
Are there any other avenues I haven't thought of?
Thank you so much for any help on this.
Nadine
<DIV>He was 80 years old and a Relieving Officer, retired.</P>The death was registered in Wanstead, West Ham, Essex, by N G Shaw, his son, on 5 Aug 1931. Norman was living at 15 East Road, West Ham.
I know N G was Norman George and I have his marriage 1913 to Edith Beatrice Brown & death certificate for 1996 in Devon (no relatvies mentioned).
I'm trying desperately to find relatives of this Shaw family in England.
The death certificates are giving me information I already have.
My questions are:
How can I get copies of obituaries for 1931 Essex & 1996 Devon?
Are copies of wills available somewhere?
Are there any other avenues I haven't thought of?
Thank you so much for any help on this.
Nadine

Wirral
01-09-2005, 9:33 PM
Hi Nadine
visited Liverpool library today which has the Probate indexes from 1858.
Shaw Elias Payne of 7 Lansdowne-rd Snaresbrook South Woodford Essex died 4 August 1931. Probate London 22 September to Ethel Rosina Shaw spinster. Effects £734 9s 9d.
I've never bought a recent will, but I think you just need to apply to the London probate office as they issued the probate. Try Googling for it.

Mythology
01-09-2005, 10:11 PM
You will need to write to York - see
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm
for more detail.

Wirral
01-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi Mythology
Thanks for that link. I'd wondered how to go about getting a will ( not that my lot ever seemed to leave one |shakehead|. One thing I noticed though on that site was no mention of the Irish Wills & Admonitions, plus the Scottish Confirmations, which are listed at the back of the last volume in each year book. I only found them today because I was looking for a name beginning with Y.

Mythology
01-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi Wirral

Not having had any Scottish or Irish ones in my lot, I've never thought about it and wasn't even aware that the bit in the back of the book which you found existed - learn something every day!

So, your guess is as good as mine as to what the actual procedure is with them, but if you skip down to the "Further Information" bit at the very bottom of that page, it says:

>

This guidance explains the procedure for obtaining copies where grants issued in England and Wales, for information regarding grants issued elsewhere in the UK and in the Irish Republic you should contact:

Scotland: H M General Register Office

Up to 1985: H M Register Office, H M Register House Princes Street, Edinburgh EH1 3YY
Tel 0131 535 1352

After 1985: H M Commissary Office, 27 Chambers St, Edinburgh EH1 1LB
Tel 0131 247 2850

N Ireland: Probate & Matrimonial Office, Royal Courts of Justice [Ulster], Chichester Street, Belfast BT1 3JF
Tel 028 9023 5111

Rep Ireland: Probate Office, Four Courts, Dublin
Tel Dublin 725555

If you require further information you may contact any Probate Registry.

>

Incidentally, I simplified things for Nadine's benefit, knowing that she's abroad. If applying in person rather than by post, you can do so at any of the district offices listed. Being in London, I always use First Avenue House in Holborn, of course, but I see that there's one in Liverpool, so if you do come across any wills in your family, that would probably be a bit quicker for you and save the price of a stamp.

Nadine Harmon
06-09-2005, 4:54 PM
Wirral,

Thank you ever so much for your time in finding this information. It's the correct one, he had a daughter Ethel Rosina; who apparently wasn't married in 1931!
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Nadine