PDA

View Full Version : VE Day Star

Sheleen
29-04-2005, 5:53 PM
I have been researching my family for just over a year now, and (much as other people I suspect) have found stories about relatives long gone that have touched me, or made me smile - even made me cry.

My grandma was always a bit of a mystery - it was only two weeks ago that I discovered her real name! I think secrecy must be a family trait - because grandma's secrets became her sons' secrets too - my father never spoke of his mum or her past. Until now, that is. Discovering grandma was actually called Ellen and not Cassandra was a bit of a shock to everyone -but it seemed to be the catalyst for snippets of honest being found....

I telephoned my dad a few nights ago "Hey guess what I found out? Grandma's name was Ellen!" Dad's reply was not so enthusiatic... he had tried to avoid talking about his mum for most of my life. He did ask how I'd found out though... and so I told him of how tracing his mothers surname, I had eventually found the registry of her death, and how I had wept when I saw it on the computer screen... like it was the moment of her death there for everyone to see - the day her life stopped. And then he told me..."She was an accomplished pianist, did you know?"

Finally, I realised with a jolt... my father was going to tell me all about the woman he knew, he was going to let me in on discovering what she was REALLY like. So I asked him, tentatively... why did she not play the piano when she was older... why didn't I know all about her talent? It would have been one of the few things that bound together mother and son - for my dad is quite an accomplished piano player also. Perhaps that was it... the one thing that made my father feel closer to his mum was something he wanted to keep to himself - it was something just for him to know, something that if he shared, might not seem so special. But now was the time for sharing, just a little bit.

I told him all the little things I had known about her - from being a soldiers' daughter raised in quarters at Worthy Down, to her singing and dancing a cabaret number in her back garden in 1982 (the only time I remember ever meeting my grandma, and staying with her for two weeks). I'm sure there was a tear in his eye when he finally let me in... he told me something quite special: On VE Day, my grandma (being such a brilliant pianist) was chosen to play the organ at Sandhurst College, admist all the grand celebrations that were held there. It may not seem a lot to other people... but for me, I knew that my grandma had been a star- if only for one day. It was a great honour for her to be chosen, appaerently. She could have been a star to everyone had she carried on playing... but she never did. I don't know why she gave up playing the piano - and even if my dad knows, he's not ready to tell me everything yet. Maybe one day though...

Geoffers
29-04-2005, 8:59 PM
On VE Day, my grandma (being such a brilliant pianist) was chosen to play the organ at Sandhurst CollegeWhat a great story you've dug up. Have you tried contacting (I presume it is) RMA Sandhurst to see if they have any photos of the day? Or if not a local newspaper? I don't know if any do exist, or not - but if you could trace one, especially with your grandma, wouldn't that crown it for you?

In case it helps, RMAS website is:
http://www.atra.mod.uk/atra/rmas/
Look on the left for the link to RMAS Archive, click on this and then scroll down to the bottom of the page to 'The Archivist' link to contact him/her.

Geoffers

Sheleen
30-04-2005, 2:16 AM
I contacted them recently... but have heard nothing back as yet. It really would be the icing on the cake if they did have any photo's of her... or even if they have some record of her playing at all. Fingers crossed :)

Linda
30-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Sheleen

Thanks for sharing another interesting story. I hope you manage to find out more. Perhaps your grandma performed a lot more often than you think - have you considered that Cassandra may be a stage name?

Linda

Sheleen
01-05-2005, 1:12 AM
My grandmother told me that her name was Cassie and that it was short for 'Cassandra'. Seems as though that was what she told everyone... turns out, her name was Ellen Cassie Roselia .... no cassandra at all. As far as anyone recalls, she never played on stage again - either before or after VE Day. Without going into too much detail, it has to be said that grandma may have been considered a 'flighty' woman. Her anchors in early years were all connected to the forces - her father was a soldier, her first husband in the Royal Marine Police... but after about 1950-ish (give or take five years) she had remarried, to a man many considered to be a 'bad-un'. She was dead by the time she reached 69 years of age - a bright flame that burned itself out... but even I would have to say that she did enjoy her life to the utmost.

Sheleen
06-05-2005, 2:32 AM
I thought I would keep you all updated on this... and the news is... not a lot :)
I've been redirected to several differing people from Sandhurst College to the church. Fivbe e-mails sent off and three replies with no help. BUT... I will say that ALL replies so far have been polite and helpful - forwarding me to someone else who may help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that eventually someone will look at my e-mail and say to themselves "So THATS the woman playing the organ on VE Day in all the photos we have". Big dream, huh?!