PDA

View Full Version : Very blurry Ship's list transcription....

susan-y
29-03-2010, 7:16 PM
I am hoping someone with better eye sight or focus ability can help me decipher a Canadian Passenger list on Ancestry.
The name is Alfred Henson, born 1881 in London England. Age 45. He left Liverpool on either Oct. 16 or Oct. 18, 1926 arriving in Montreal, Canada on Oct.22, 1926. The ship was the Montclare.

The Roll: T-14728 Vol. 22, pg.9, sheet 8

It looks to me like his destination was CFB Montreal,
His wife is Betty?and she lives at what appears to be.... ?9 Grosse Platte, somewhere?? Leeds.

The whole page is very blurry.. ( transcriber must have spilt their wine while transcribing!), but I would love to find out what his occupation was, where he was going for sure and his wife's name and their home address.

Thanks Sue

v.wells
29-03-2010, 8:01 PM
39 Grace Fluitt Drive? There is a Grace Dr. in Leeds. Still looking. Name looks like Betty Reece.

Kerrywood
29-03-2010, 8:07 PM
and she lives at what appears to be.... ?9 Grosse Platte, somewhere?? Leeds.

Cross Flatts Drive, Beeston, Leeds
(not sure of the house number)

I think his occupation could be Musician.

His place of birth seems to be Shipley, which is near Bradford. Are we looking at the right man?

v.wells
29-03-2010, 8:13 PM
There is a Grace Plate Dr. but I think Beeston is right so that must mean Kerrywood has got it right again! :)

Kerrywood
29-03-2010, 8:24 PM
It looks to me like his destination was CFB Montreal,

Could it be ... c/o G.P.O. Montreal (as in General Post Office)?

What concerns me more is that this man seems to have been born in Shipley, but you say yours should be born London.

susan-y
29-03-2010, 8:32 PM
Cross Flatts Drive, Beeston, Leeds
(not sure of the house number)

His place of birth seems to be Shipley, which is near Bradford. Are we looking at the right man?

If the place of birth is Shipley, then its the wrong man! The Alfred Henry Henson I have been searching for was born in Hamstead, London in 1881 ..but finding him after the 1891 cenus has so far been impossible. I know he had something to do with the military for awhile, so I thought this fellow was a possibility. Way too many Alfred Hensons and knowing how that family operated, they were likely all first cousins--- several generations of large Henson families all with the same forenames:lol:
Darn! I was hoping for a wife to see if I could trace back...guess I keep on searching.

Thanks for your input, ladies.

Sue

v.wells
29-03-2010, 8:35 PM
And it is Betty Henson. :) Have you found them on the 1911 Sue? I am trying to find a marriage.

Thanks Sue - saves me looking for the wrong person.

Kerrywood
29-03-2010, 8:43 PM
If the place of birth is Shipley, then its the wrong man! The Alfred Henry Henson I have been searching for was born in Hamstead, London in 1881 ..but finding him after the 1891 cenus has so far been impossible
Well, as the place of birth is crucial, I think you'd be wise to get at least a second opinion on Shipley. :wink5:

Anyone else?

susan-y
29-03-2010, 8:58 PM
And it is Betty Henson. :) Have you found them on the 1911 Sue? I am trying to find a marriage.

Thanks Sue - saves me looking for the wrong person.

I've printed off some possibilities and of course they are at home--I'm not! That's why I was trying to find a name for a wife so I could do some cross checking and also check the marriage indexes! Of course, Betty could be..Elizabeth or any other name.!! The Hensons were notorious for using 2nd names and "pet" names.:rolleyes5:

Thanks again...

Sue

Geoffers
29-03-2010, 10:03 PM

It may not be the same person - but - on the outward passenger lists from 1924 onwards an Alfred HANSON, musician/orchestra is shown as travelling from Liverpool to Montreal, some of the trips being on the Montclare. These typed lists show a year of birth in the 1890s.

I don't know if they are the same person, but I mention it on the offchance.

susan-y
30-03-2010, 2:51 AM
Thanks Geoffers.... I'll check that out! Certainly would eliminate this fellow from my family if that's the case.

Sue

susan-y
30-03-2010, 3:46 PM
Well, as the place of birth is crucial, I think you'd be wise to get at least a second opinion on Shipley. :wink5:

Anyone else?

Thanks Kerrywood.

Being I had never heard of Shipley, I figured it was worth a try....so many places have alot of different names depending on the local usage. ( I thought it may have been a part of London!) Mind you...I'll have to google Bradford as well!! I have seen London, Hamstead, Hamstead Heath, Cricklewood and others for their birth place ( Henry was my Grandmother's brother) so what was one more? They grew up at 192 Loveridge road... wonder what that area is called now?. The musician part seems very unlikely...I don't know of a single member of the family that can carry a tune when whistling, let alone read or perform music! Tone deaf is a family gene.:biggrinjester:

Sue

Jan1954
30-03-2010, 4:35 PM
I have seen London, Hamstead, Hamstead Heath, Cricklewood and others for their birth place ( Henry was my Grandmother's brother) so what was one more? They grew up at 192 Loveridge road... wonder what that area is called now?
Hello Sue,

These days, Loveridge Road is situated in the London Borough of Camden, which now incorporates Hampstead, Holborn, St Pancras and parts of Finsbury. This seems to fit with your Hampstead Heath/Hampstead records. Cricklewood is in the London Borough of Brent, which is the adjoining borough in a northwesterly direction.

susan-y
30-03-2010, 5:03 PM
Thanks Jan!
Yes, on one of the census' or birth cert. I think it does say Holborn..that rings a bell, also. :smile5:
They even change districts, townships, towns etc. around over here and make things confusing! I believe it is called progress. :confused5:

Sue

AdeleE
31-03-2010, 2:42 AM
There is this death registration:

Name: Alfred H Henson
Death Registration Year: 1957
Age at death (estimated): 75
Registration district: Greenwich
Volume 5c, Page 535

The age at death seems to match.