PDA

View Full Version : Henry Bennetts or (Bennett)

Bobdog
28-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi

Looking for Henrys parents, getting conflickering results on Ancestry website - can anyone help?

Born 1802ish in Probus, married Mary Searle

Many thanks
David

MarkJ
28-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Have you tried asking the Probus OPC? Lorna (the OPC) has various records which *might* be able to help - but bear in mind that baptisms often fail to give both parents names (or even any parents at all sometimes!)
If you search for "Cornwall Online Parish Clerk" you should find the main OPC site, then look for Probus in the parish index.
Of course, if you have several Probus connections, it may be worth your while to look at the various cds etc on offer from Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D10877&supplier=&breadcrumb=Parish+Registers%3ACornwall:Parish+Regi sters+(M-P)+listed+by+Product)

Mark

Ted Carpenter
01-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Hi Bobdog,
I'm just wondering if your Henry Bennetts is related to my Mary Bennetts of Camborne, born 23 Feb 1800, died 24 Jan 1883 and married to Phillip Sparnon (my Gt Gt Grandmother) of Illogan on 13 Sept 1829 in Camborne Parish Church and buried at all Saints Church, Tuckingmill (gravestone still visible, went to see it last week on a trip to Cornwall, found it easily, on the main path behind the church). She was (according to my research) the daughter of one James Bennetts and Mary Osborne, although I don't have any confirmed dates for them. I believe that the Bennetts family were responsible, in the main, for the cost of construction for the aforementioned church, so obviously a family of some means. If it turns out that they are related I would greatly appreciate any details that you might have, especially regarding my Mary.
Best regards and a happy new year. Ted Carpenter

Bobdog
02-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi Ted,

Sorry Ted, my Mary married Henry but she was born in 1796 and had the surname Searle, no other Mary Bennetts from the time in my tree, there was a lot of Bennetts from Cambourne but mine all came from Probus area.

Cheers
David Bennetts

Hi Bobdog,
I'm just wondering if your Henry Bennetts is related to my Mary Bennetts of Camborne, born 23 Feb 1800, died 24 Jan 1883 and married to Phillip Sparnon (my Gt Gt Grandmother) of Illogan on 13 Sept 1829 in Camborne Parish Church and buried at all Saints Church, Tuckingmill (gravestone still visible, went to see it last week on a trip to Cornwall, found it easily, on the main path behind the church). She was (according to my research) the daughter of one James Bennetts and Mary Osborne, although I don't have any confirmed dates for them. I believe that the Bennetts family were responsible, in the main, for the cost of construction for the aforementioned church, so obviously a family of some means. If it turns out that they are related I would greatly appreciate any details that you might have, especially regarding my Mary.
Best regards and a happy new year. Ted Carpenter

pedritothegreat
26-02-2011, 4:22 PM
Hello Bobdog, I was looking for my family name (at random) on the facebook site and had a reply from a man in Mexico, his ancestor was called Henry Bennetts and he worked as an engineer in the Oaxaca Mountains gold mines. If this is of interest to you please contact me and? well I find this very exciting.
Peter

Bobdog
02-03-2011, 1:16 PM
Hi Peter,

I don't know if you got my earlier answer, but do you have any dates for Henry Bennetts working in Oaxaca mines, if so how old he was, these would help see if it was him.

He did go missing from all the earley census's and then he reappeared just before he died, so could well have been somewhere.

Cheers
David

pedritothegreat
03-03-2011, 7:49 AM
Hello David, no not as yet. Carlos who is in Oaxaca is speaking to his mother, to ask her for some more information; I asked him if Henry Bennetts had another christian name as my ancestors had the name Vivian as part of their name, this was something of a tradition (I don't know why). There was a Henry Bennetts in my family, my Sister wrote this information to me last week: "This Henry who I have mentioned is one among eleven children born to a Samuel Bennetts, who was born in 1813, father of Johnson Vivian Bennetts, born around 1840 ish, who in turn was the father of Thomas Bennets born 1872 ish, our paternal grandfather". So you can now see why I am interested.
There is also a book of our family history which I am supposed to be the custodian of but may late aunt gave it to her son, he has it and I will ask him to pass it on to me where I can possibly trace the Bennetts's a bit more.
Cheers
Peter

MarkJ
03-03-2011, 9:39 AM
I asked him if Henry Bennetts had another christian name as my ancestors had the name Vivian as part of their name, this was something of a tradition (I don't know why).

Pretty common practice in Cornwall - and other parts of the UK - to use a female relatives surname as a middle name for children.
So perhaps mothers maiden name or grans maiden name for example. Vivian will crop up as a female ancestors maiden name somewhere - it is a common surname in Cornwall by the way.

Mark

Bobdog
07-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi Peter

Just found out on the National Probate Calender (INdex of Will & Admin) a certain BENNETTS James of Cambourne Cornwall miner died 5th December 1882 at Pachuca Mexico Administration BODMIN 10 Feb to Mary Bennetts widow Effects £467.00

Nothing to do with my family but might have something to do with yours.

Cheers
David

astroman
02-10-2011, 3:47 PM
Samuel BENNETTS is my great great grandfather born 9 Nov 1812 died 31 Jan 1862. My great grandfather was Henry Vivian Bennetts born 9 May 1854 and the Vivian name is because Samuel married Hannah VIVIAN. Johnson Vivian BENNETTS born 18 June 1839 was Henry's brother and Thomas was his son as you say. My records show Thomas married Louisa RICHARDS 18 Nov 1896 and I do have some details of their family. It would be very interesting to me if you could let me know what details you have.
As to the James BENNETTS who went to Mexico Samuel we believe had a brother James Vivian BENNETTS born 26 Feb 1848 who married a Mary J STEPHENS but this may not be accurate. He ended up in Nevada USA but I don't know if that was via Mexico.
Happy to hear any more from you.