PDA

View Full Version : John Rex of St. George? East Middx

Wilkes_ml
28-03-2010, 10:30 AM
John Rex of St. George? East Middlesex buried 1st Dec 1779 at St. Nicolas, Witham, Essex aged 20.

(Ref D/P 30 1/2 image no. 96 source:SEAX register online)

Peter Goodey
28-03-2010, 10:49 AM
St. George? East Middlesex

Do you mean St George in the East, Middlesex?

Kerrywood
28-03-2010, 1:07 PM
Do you mean St George in the East, Middlesex?

As Michelle has kindly provided the online image reference, we can take a look for ourselves.

I wonder if it reads one of the East Middlesex, referring to a soldier of that regiment (77th foot)? Were they perhaps stationed in Witham in 1780?

If so, that might apply to John SHEPPARD too?

Wilkes_ml
28-03-2010, 1:31 PM
Thanks Kerrywood, I hadn't considered it might be a reference to a regiment and now that you mention it, there were earlier entries that did state that fathers were of certain regiments. However, they were more specific and gave the captain's details as well!

I did wonder whether there was an army base there due to the number of births to soldiers.

Wilkes_ml
28-03-2010, 1:40 PM
Just had a look at both John Rex and John Sheppard's entries. The both have a M after the East Middlesex. I have just looked up East Middlesex regiment and it looks as though at the time of these burials the regiment was called 7th Athol Highlanders Regiment, the name 77th (East Middlesex) Regiment of Foot not being used until 1807 Source: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~garter1/77thfoot.htm

will look more into it!

Wilkes_ml
28-03-2010, 1:54 PM
However, Wikipedia has : 2nd Battalion formerly the 77th (East Middlesex) Regiment of Foot (The Duke of Cambridge's Own) (raised 1787)

I think the M after East Middlesex probably stands for Militia. And it looks as though Colchester was a base, though barracks weren't built until 1794 ( after complaints from local inn keepers!)

OK - so now we know these men didn't come from East Middlesex - but I am guessing they were probably not from Essex and still "strays" - so now to find out where they came from!

Kerrywood
28-03-2010, 2:08 PM
I think the M after East Middlesex probably stands for Militia. And it looks as though Colchester was a base, though barracks weren't built until 1794 ( after complaints from local inn keepers!)
East Middlesex Militia sounds good to me.

Thanks for looking into that, and for posting all these strays. You never know who might turn up. :smile5:

Wilkes_ml
28-03-2010, 2:12 PM
I find it fascinating going through these old PRs - I'm actually looking for possible ancestors, but taking me twice as long as a) the writing isn't always legible and b) I get distracted by other interesting entries!!!