PDA

View Full Version : Obituaries

griff20
25-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Were obituaries very common in the 1700-1900's for farm labourers and factory workers?

Wirral
25-03-2010, 9:12 PM
No.

Obituaries weren't common for anybody. Why would the poor waste money on that?

Peter Goodey
25-03-2010, 10:32 PM
In this country 'obituary' normally means a biography and appreciation or assessment of someone's life written by the newspaper's staff. Obituaries in this sense are reserved for the great and the good (although sports people and entertainers are more prominent these days than they used to be). Is this what you're talking about? If so the answer is No.

If on the other hand you're talking about 'death notices', paid announcements by the bereaved, the answer, as Wirral says, is also No.

bibliojunkie
25-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Until last year I would have said no. However, on searching in a local newspaper c1870, I came across an article about a farm hand who suffered fatal injuries as a result of being gored to death by a bull. After details of the accident there followed a flowery tribute to the man. As far as I can recall his talents included a sweet singing voice, redoubtable manual strength, a cheerful countenance and a willingness to help others. Not only did his wife and children mourn their loss but also his employer, friends and everyone in the vicinity were deeply affected.

Unless a lowly ancestor did something spectacular or was unfortunate to die in unusual circumstances, it is unlikely that he/she would be publicly commemorated.

Ali

thecouch
26-03-2010, 1:15 AM
Interestingly,

Through research of some of my British ancestors who emmigrated to Canada in the early 1840s and beyond, I have been able to purchase from a local genealogical website (for Upper Canada - the precursor to Ontario) copies of death notices (albeit brief ones - i.e. one to two sentences) dating in the 1860's and 1870's. The information was located in local newspapers of towns and villiages throughout Upper Canada and most just provided name, date age and general residence/town of the individual. Most of my ancestors were either shoemakers and/or farmers. This has been my general experience for some of my ancestors from Cornwall too....my two cents...

thecouch