PDA

View Full Version : Occupants of a residence prior to 2004

Colin Rowledge
22-03-2010, 3:12 PM
Not sure if this the right time and place for this request, but hopefully someone can assist.

The address of the residence was 9 Cedar Drive, Preston, Weymouth, Dorset.

Currently and since 2004 the house has been owned and I have a copy of the title.

Some of the history of occupants from 1973 is known.When my Grandmother died in Australia in 1971, her spouse sold up and moved back to England in 1973.
Some time in 1973, I believe he purchased the property and occupied it with his sister Margaret Jane. His name was Reginald George Fanning.. He died January 30, 1977 and under theterms of his Will, his sister for as long as she was able and willing to reside there could do so.
Margaret Jane died in 1st q. of 1983. Whether she was still a resident, I don't know as her death certificate has not yet been received.

What I am trying to determine is who the occupants were following Reginald's death and whether those occupants were tenants or owners. If tenants, then who was the organization or person receiving the rental income? If an owner, then when was it purchased and who was the seller?

I suspect such records are available within the community, but for me in Canada, I feel that I am spinning my wheels with civil servants and public officials. :banghead:

Thanks for any help

Colin

SBSFamilyhistory
22-03-2010, 3:41 PM
Try contacting Land Registry for that area. They may be able to tell you who the land is registered to. It may cost, but I should imagine that it would not be to expensive.

Sue

Colin Rowledge
22-03-2010, 3:59 PM
Try contacting Land Registry for that area. They may be able to tell you who the land is registered to. It may cost, but I should imagine that it would not be to expensive.

Sue

Hi Sue.
Have done that and they gave me a rough time. Had difficulty in getting the Title doc's so a nice forum member spent the 4 quid on my behalf. The responder from the land registry office gave a most ridiculous comment that my Post Code when I submitted information to open an account in order to pay for a search, told me that my Post Code was in Ontario and that I was dealing with the Land Registry for England and Wales. I sent another email telling him that although the property was in England I had use the correct Post Code for the property, but as I live in Canada and wanted pay their fees the account order form had numerous countries [probably the entire world was listed] so why would the form not accept my Code?

I'm turning blue, holding my breath for a response :cuss:

Colin Rowledge
08-04-2010, 2:38 PM
Hi Sue.
Have done that and they gave me a rough time. Had difficulty in getting the Title doc's so a nice forum member spent the 4 quid on my behalf. The responder from the land registry office gave a most ridiculous comment that my Post Code when I submitted information to open an account in order to pay for a search, told me that my Post Code was in Ontario and that I was dealing with the Land Registry for England and Wales. I sent another email telling him that although the property was in England I had use the correct Post Code for the property, but as I live in Canada and wanted pay their fees the account order form had numerous countries [probably the entire world was listed] so why would the form not accept my Code?

I'm turning blue, holding my breath for a response :cuss:

As I hadn't heard anything in a week, I sent another request and [after reviewing their FAQ's and not finding an answer] asked if they could possibly tell me how many times the property in question had been sold since 1983. Today I received a very 'nice' email from a very 'helpful' person at the Land Registry office. Here is the extent of the reply: "Dear Mr. Rowledge. With regard to your request of previous owners and transaction dates, we are not geared to conduct visual searches of Land Registry transaction. A solicitor can do this for you for a fee.
Yours truly"

Civil Service in action eh, or am I over-reacting?

What options are available to me in finding this information to support my claim to the Law Society?

v.wells
08-04-2010, 3:05 PM
You are over reacting. Perhaps find an estate agent and ask him to look up the address on the pc. Or you might try requesting electoral roll information for the address in question.

pattenwalsh
08-04-2010, 3:34 PM
At a long shot,I would write to Numbers 12,10 and 8 Cedar Drive who are opposite number 9,also numbers 7 and 5.Also as number 9 Cedar Drive is on the corner of Willow Crescent, it's rear garden abuts Number 1 Willow Crescent so a letter to them as well.Maybe a neighbour may have been there for some years.
You never know

Colin Rowledge
08-04-2010, 3:43 PM
Thank you both for your suggestions. At this stage of the 'game' anything is more 'cost-effective' than a flight to England!! :smile5:

Colin

Chris Doran
09-04-2010, 12:25 AM
From the "Info-Disks" (electoral rolls) of 1992-2003, there was one person resident at that address in those years. I will PM you the name, as they may be still alive. I suggest you ask on the Dorset forum and see if someone will look up the intervening years for you. or you could e-mail Weymouth Reference Library who probably have a set of ERs, or know who has.

Colin Rowledge
09-04-2010, 12:28 PM
From the "Info-Disks" (electoral rolls) of 1992-2003, there was one person resident at that address in those years. I will PM you the name, as they may be still alive. I suggest you ask on the Dorset forum and see if someone will look up the intervening years for you. or you could e-mail Weymouth Reference Library who probably have a set of ERs, or know who has.

Thank you, Chris. I'll follow through with your suggestions and see what transpires. I'll also respond to your p/m later.

Colin

Colin Rowledge
09-04-2010, 1:44 PM
Thank you, Chris. I'll follow through with your suggestions and see what transpires. I'll also respond to your p/m later.

Colin

As suggested by Chris Doran, could this thread be moved to the Dorset Forum in order to save duplication of efforts?

Thanks
Colin

Sue Mackay
09-04-2010, 2:29 PM
As suggested by Chris Doran, could this thread be moved to the Dorset Forum in order to save duplication of efforts?

Thanks
Colin

Done.