PDA

View Full Version : William Hall and family.

IreneH
27-04-2005, 9:16 PM
Could someone do some checking of dates for me please. Don't worry Pam - I am taking your advice and buying things but, it is expensive. 56 pounds to you is $168 to me. Lot of money!

William Hall married Jane Elizabeth Robinson. They had at least 6 kids. I think there could be more! All the kids were born in Winterton Lincolnshire before William up stakes in 1863 and went to NZ where he died 2 yrs later.

I would like day and month if possible. Have found some but not all.
Thomas b. 1850 - he could possible be Thomas William
Harry b. 1853 - think 3rd April
Mary Jane b. 1854 - think 17 Sep d.1856 - think March
There were 3 other kids
Faith b.1856 and Cecilia b.1858(have dates for these 2)
Edgar b.1862 - think March
Big gap between Cecilia and Edgar - more kids? - died perhaps???

Also if someone who has access to 1841, 51 and 61 census could you have a hunt for William please and tell me what he was doing(job) where he lived etc. in those years. William was b. in 1829 in Winterton.

many many thanks to all you very helpful people.

Irene

Procat
28-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Irene,

RG 9/2400 Folio 42 Page 2 Schedule113

Top Street
Parish Winterton,

William Hall Head Married 31 Saddle & Harness Maker Lincolnshire Winterton
Jane E Hall Wife Married 31 Lincolnshire Ropsley
Faith Hall Daughter 9 Scholar Lincolnshire Winterton
Harry Hall Son 8 Scholar Lincolnshire Winterton
Cecilia Hall Daughter 3 Scholar Lincolnshire Winterton
Matthew Hall Servant Unmarried 20 Journeyman/Saddler Lincolnshire Winterton
William Coupland Apprentice Unmarried 15 Saddler (Ap) Lincolnshire Wootton
Sarah A Hewet Servant Unmarried 16 House Servant Lincolnshire Barnetby

Pam Downes
28-04-2005, 7:42 PM
Could someone do some checking of dates for me please. Don't worry Pam - I am taking your advice and buying things but, it is expensive. 56 pounds to you is $168 to me. Lot of money!
56 quid is 10 hours work for me, so buying things is expensive. Sometimes though, buying is the most time and cost effective way of obtaining information.
And sometimes it is the only way of getting precise information. e.g. date of birth or death which are only guaranteed to be shown on a birth or death certificate. Parish registers will show a date of baptism or burial, and if you're very very lucky also give a birth or death date, but for the time period you're currently talking about assume you will be unlucky.
Births are suppose to be registered within 42 days, so if a birth is registered in the March quarter, birth should have occurred between November 21st of the previous year and March 31st. Same sort of thing with other quarters.
Have a look at FreeBMD
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
to see if you can find any births registered. If the births were all in Winterton then the registration district should be Glan(d)ford Brigg.

If no births are yet transcribed then you may still be able to find them via the 'images' link on the opening page of FreeBMD. pay-to-view, for the full GRO Index, or a visit to the LDS FHC who, if they don't have the GRO Index, can order it for you. If the FHC in Dunedin isn't particularly convenient, there is also one in Palmerston. You will need the FHC for the parish registers.
Alternatively you can apply to Lincolnshire Archives for the information from the parish registers but this will cost you a minimum of 7GBP from what I can see. (plus the cost of any photocopies you might want.)

Pam Downes

IreneH
29-04-2005, 4:29 AM
Agreed Pam - buying is sometimes the only way to get the best info. I just wish I had a bottomless purse or a win lotto!! Just joined CD Books!
Have hunted around on roots, BDM etc but not helpful for this - darn it!!!
I'm in something of a rush to get asmany gaps as possible filled before my mother's 90th at the end of May

Way to go Procat - interesting that Williams's youngest brother Matthew is listed as servant. Also tells me where Matthew learned his trade.

Thanks guys