PDA

View Full Version : Book Family Weston/Bath

John S
27-04-2005, 4:57 PM
I am researching the Book family in Weston and later Bath.
The earliest confirmed records of the family date to the birth of Charles (Plenty?) Book in Abt 1818 in Weston.
The family were described in Census occupations and other records as Coal Hauliers/Merchants, or just plain Hauliers or even Labourers
To further confuse this in one early Census (1851 Beavingtons C. D.)
the name is listed as BUCK.
Just join up the tops/sides of the letters u and c and you get Book!
One connected family is listed as Brook or Book in the 1881 Census.
The Haulier side of the business survived till Abt 1931.
The area the families lived in were Avon Street, New Quay Street, Corn Street and other locations down by the river, from Abt 1820.
Some other names include.
Powell ( not Howell as LDS suggests).
Snook
Bishop
Spurell(various spellings).
Bristow
Shortman.
I would like to get further back than 1818 and the village (at that time) of Weston with this, where Charles P was born.
I suspect the Book families worked in the 1700's hauling coal in carts into the city of Bath from Paulton or that area west of the city. They moved into the city at the time of the development of the canals which put them out of work.
Anyone working in this area who knows where early information is available on the Internet, please contact me to share.
Thanks
John S.

McGrathRG
29-04-2005, 11:14 PM
You probably have these already but if not I will tell me and I will look up the full info.
1851 census
Name Mar Satsus Age Occupation Where Bn Census place
BOOK Sarah Widow/er 64 Winford Somerset Horfield
BOOK James 67 Labourer Mendip Bath St. James
BOOK John 66 Shoemaker Backwell, Som. Backwell
BOOK Elizabeth Lodger Widower 73 Pauper Ashwick, Som. Ashwick
BOOK ? Elizabeth 29 Milliner & Dressmaker North Curry Bath St. James
BOOK George 26 Coal Merchant Bath, Som. Walcot Trinity

My line has Mary Spurrell married John George. Mary Spurrell bn abt 1829 Trowbridge, Wilts. John George bn abt 1828 Bath, Som. Had the following children Mary bn 1850 Bath. Ann 1855 Bath. Harriet 1858 Bath. Emily 1866 Bath. Any connection to your Spurrell ?

k0065126
30-04-2005, 11:36 PM
I have a vague recollection of Tony Book who played, or possibly managed, Bath City football club about 40 years ago.

From the 1861 census :-
Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish

Caroline Book 1826 Bath, Somerset Wife Walcot Trinity
Caroline Book 1859 Bath, Somerset Daughter Walcot Trinity
Charles Book 1820 Weston, Somerset Head Bath St James
Charlotte Book 1821 Bath, Somerset Wife Bath St James
Eliza Book 1851 Bath, Somerset Daughter Walcot Trinity
Elizabeth Book 1855 Bath, Somerset Daughter Walcot Trinity
George Book 1825 Bath, Somerset Head Walcot Trinity
George Book 1846 Bath, Somerset Son Walcot Trinity
Hester Book 1787 Nailsea, Somerset Head Backwell
John Book 1850 Bath, Somerset Son Walcot Trinity
William Book 1855 Bath, Somerset Son Bath St James
William Book 1841 Lopen, Somerset Boarder Yeovil

If any of these are of interest let me know and I can provide fuller details.

Viv

christinejames
03-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I am also researching the Book family from Bath. I believe George Book, born 1825/6 in Bath and a coal merchant was my great great great grandfather. His daughter Eliza Book was my great great grandmother,( she married Moses Grant in 1877) and her daughter, Eliza was my great grandmother who I remember very well as I was about 23 when she died in Kilburn, London in 1981. I would love to know more about the family. I think my more recent ancestors lost touch with the Book family when they moved to London.

Descendants of Eliza and Moses are now living in Yorkshire, Leicestershire, London, Essex, Scotland and Hampshire. I can give more details of descendants if you are interested. I would be grateful for any additional information about the Book family and descendants in the Bath area.
Thank you

Christine J

AnnB
04-11-2005, 9:47 AM
For anyone with ancestors from Bath, have you seen http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/ where you will find indexes to the marriages and births (no deaths, as yet) from the Register Office of Bath and NE Somerset. It is an on-going project and the index provides you with most of the details from the certificates, and details of ordering a copy :)

Best wishes
Ann

christinejames
04-11-2005, 9:46 PM
Ann

Thank you for your suggestion - it is a great link and I was able to confirm the marriage between George Book and Eliza Grant. I would like to contact some of the Book family or anyone connected.

Christinej