PDA

View Full Version : Deane Hoare-cork C1780

Beryl@uhouse
26-04-2005, 11:34 AM
James Hoare b C 1803 Cork died Liverpool 1873 records his father as DEANE HOARE Gentleman, Cork. Looking for info on James's actual birth and parents. Any suggestions please?

jcwilks
03-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Micael GANDY, the renowned authority on such subjects, assured my friend that HOARE is not an Irish name. Your tracing of Deane HOARE to Cork is therefore very significant. It seems to suggest that the family is from outside Ireland and settled there for at leat a generation or two. Presumably the family migrated to Ireland from England, where the surname is relatively common, in the eighteenth century or earlier. I shall be going to Cork in the Autumn and will do all I can to trace Deane's homeplace. It is quite likely that we have a connection, given the very small number of people named HOARE in Griffiths' Land Registration Survey, which I have on disc.

Peggy
03-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Knowing how spelling varied back then, I tried googling "Dean Hoare" and Cork.

Sure enough, there was a clergyman of that name.

Peggy

JNicLiam
04-05-2005, 6:51 PM
I had a look at the Cork city section of 1824 Pigot & Co's Provincial directory and this shows 3 Hoares -
Henry T Hoare 47 South Mall an attorney
John Hoare 44 Patrick Street a fruit merchant
and Edward Hoare 1 Henry Street a cabinet maker.
So not quite as uncommon a name in Cork as one might have thought.

Pigot's directory is available to browse at failteromhat. This site also has a lot of other useful info including Slater's 1846 Directory and Guy's Postal Directory of Cork for 1914.

Jill

jcwilks
10-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Many thanks for the Google and failteromhat suggestions, ladies. Clearly there were more HOAREs about in nineteenth century Cork than I'd been led to believe. If I can establish whether one of them was named Ann I might really be making a breakthrough, although Ann later said she was born in Tipperary when questioned by the 1861 Census enumerator in Surrey. Since her daughter was born in Cork, however, this different birthplace does not prevent her from being related to Dean or John or Edward or Henry T., who may themselves have been born elsewhere .
Johnny

Beryl@uhouse
05-06-2005, 4:50 PM
Hello jcwilks, I don't think that I have replied to anyone on this board. I have been having computer problems and have got rather confused.
I am excited to know that you are going to Cork . Thank you for offering to look for James Hoare son of Deane Hoare. Thank you Beryl

Beryl@uhouse
05-06-2005, 4:55 PM
I had a look at the Cork city section of 1824 Pigot & Co's Provincial directory and this shows 3 Hoares -
Henry T Hoare 47 South Mall an attorney
John Hoare 44 Patrick Street a fruit merchant
and Edward Hoare 1 Henry Street a cabinet maker.
So not quite as uncommon a name in Cork as one might have thought.

Pigot's directory is available to browse at failteromhat. This site also has a lot of other useful info including Slater's 1846 Directory and Guy's Postal Directory of Cork for 1914.

Jill
Thank you for this Jill . I have been having computer problems and have not been able to answer before. I will certainly explore this site. Beryl