PDA

View Full Version : street scene

brianb
11-03-2010, 8:47 AM
Morning all

Google maps "streetscene" now covers 95% of the UK.

A very interesting way of looking at your ancestry "roots"

Brian

Peter Goodey
11-03-2010, 8:55 AM
A good way to remind you that the front needs tidying up ;)

Unfortunately I didn't know when they were coming down my road - I had intended to come out and wave something at the camera :biggrin:

sue2white
11-03-2010, 8:56 AM
Thanks Brian
I wondered when that was going to happen, as Google were round my way ages ago. By the looks of my street, it was taken about nine months ago.

Can't wait to get looking!!
Sue

RobinC
11-03-2010, 9:46 AM
It certainly is useful, however I think a lot of the remaining 5% of the country won't be covered as there are high security government buildings like prisons.

brianb
11-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Unfortunately I didn't know when they were coming down my road - I had intended to come out and wave something at the camera :biggrin:

Peter

please clarify the "something", I am sure we all want to know what it was you were going to wave !

Brian

Pam Downes
11-03-2010, 11:07 AM

By one those chance-in-a-million coincidences, when I switched the 'puter on this morning, a message from my son said 'Tell dad to sort out the garage will you. It's on the interweb....'
Being such a considerate son :smile5: he'd thoughtfully provided the link. (And no, I'm not going to! :biggrin5: ) Ours is the only garage door down the road that's open, and which therefore shows all the junk therein. The good news is that it was taken last year and not this week, as at the moment we can just about open the door and that's it. Hubby was going to make a start on the tidying this week but his plans got cancelled as the wind has not only been so bitterly cold but so blooming lazy with it.*
Pam

* For those not familiar with the expression 'it's a lazy wind - goes through you, instead of round you'.

bibliojunkie
11-03-2010, 11:18 AM
LOL Pam. Talking about garages reminds me of an aerial pic taken after a mini whirlwind had hit a town, somewhere in Sussex I think. It showed a row of garages all with their roofs off. Only one had a car in it, the others were filled with junk.

Some time ago I was followed by a car with a tripod camera on the roof. I thought that was odd as there is no racecourse in the area. A few weeks later, a friend rang to say my road and my car were on Google street scene. The project had escaped my notice and I had no idea what he was talking about so I had a look. Sure enough, there was my car, with number plate obscured, turning into my drive. The photo was taken on a Monday as my wheelie bin is at the bottom of the driveway. Checking again a few weeks later, my car had been airbrushed out but the bin was still there.

Ali

Peter Goodey
11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
please clarify the "something", I am sure we all want to know what it was you were going to wave

Suffice to say it would have been an interesting test of Google's automatic blurring technology :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

bibliojunkie
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Out of curiousity, I've had another look at my road. Google's been back. Next door is now for sale and on t'other side the extension is completed. This new image was also taken on a Monday 'cos the wheelie bin is still there! :biggrin5:

Ali

Sue Mackay
11-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I must be one of the 5% - ooh! I'm elite!

A postcode entry takes you to exactly where my house is, with the name of the road, but all you can see is bare earth. Scroll slightly to the left and you can see the foundations going in for the show house on our estate. We have been living in our house since August 2003 and it was one of the last to be finished, so I reckon the aerial photos date from 2001.

Peter Goodey
11-03-2010, 1:12 PM
Google gives you a nice view of part of my feed shed roof!

Hush, Pam. Don't tell everyone or the internet will get overloaded with people wanting a peep!

Devonmade
11-03-2010, 1:43 PM
I can see that where I live photos were taken last Spring. Can even recognise a neighbour gardening.

Barnzzz
11-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Just had a quick look and found my mum in her garden. I'm on it too, outside the office. I wonder if we are the only mother and daughter to both appear in seperate pics?