PDA

View Full Version : William John

Thomas Jones
10-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Looking for the birth date of William John, son of Thomas John and Elizabeth Dixon, William came to Australia and married Mary Ann Williams, wanting to find how what land Thomas John had and if there where any other children of this union, the story goes that Thomas is suppose to have had a large farm and it is suppose to be still in the family today, look forward to hearing any information on this family
TJ:

MarkJ
10-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Do you have any approxiamte dates for other members to work from? For example, when he arrived in Australia or his date and age at marriage?

Mark

Waitabit
11-03-2010, 1:35 AM
One of MANY William Dixons coming into NSW was William J. Dixon 18 a seaman apprentice c 1885. Aboard the 'Charles Colesworth' out of Liverpool. 26 Oct. 1907

Apologies, I misread your post & took Dixon to be the Family name instead of JOHN. Ignore the above. Will start again.

Thomas Jones
11-03-2010, 2:16 AM
William John was 31 when he married Mary ann Williams on the 2 May 1895 and she was 21 they got married in Brisbane but do not known a date of arrival
Tom

Waitabit
11-03-2010, 2:36 AM
Were his Parents married in 1850 in Bridgend, Glamorgan? Sep.1/4 .vol.26-page 445 ....... from FreeBMD?

Waitabit
11-03-2010, 2:53 AM
Can you tell us where you have searched so far?, ie: Bmds, censuses, etc. so that we don't all do the same things over.
There are William JOHNs born in Bridgend in 3 of 4 Quarters of 1864 & one each in every quarter for 1865. A guestimate from the age at marriage. He may not have been born Bridgend so the censuses may help there.

Also if you can give his occupation, it may help with shipping & earlier censuses.

Waitabit
12-03-2010, 2:24 AM
Have just spent time in the QLD Govt. Archives. (http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/info/fh) Nearly forgot to come out.

Found two possible referrences to a William John in Immigration Indexes.:
1882 7th Nov. William John aged 18 aboard the 'Compta' +
William John age 22 aboard the 'Rialto 18 Mar. 1886
If either can be checked by some-one with subs to passenger sites it may help to weed out the right chap.

One such site Fmp has a William John of adult status from London to N.Z. in 1891.Perhaps he stopped there on the way?

Thomas Jones
12-03-2010, 2:27 AM
On the marriage certificate it states that he was a Farmer and I have not done any research on this in any other place, this time I thought I would let someone else be able to help me with this hard family
TJ

Waitabit
12-03-2010, 3:46 AM
You're hard taskmaster Thomas Jones. I've tried the Electoral rolls also & haven't yet teemed up a William with a Mary ann. Must leave this for now.